Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a "new to me" 98 SE and need to know how to get to the rear spkrs to add some, looks like the wiring is there already and to change a blown lower fog light. Not sure how much I have to disassemble but would just like alittle hint. Thanks for any help/advice.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
To get at the fairing lamp, you need to remove the fairing lower piece; fiddly, but not hard. You can get aftermarket speakers from Wingstuff, J&M, Bazooka, lots of outlets. You might also get the Hondaline speakers from a dealership if they are still available, p/n 39135-MZ3-771 shows on the parts fiche, but not sure if they are still in inventory. Retail is $69 each up here.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
are the rear speakers working? if not tryadjusting the fader knob on the left radio control on the handlebar

·
Registered
20 Posts
new to you 98se

the se should have the rear speakes . go to steve saunders
goldwing.com. that will help you out.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
The 98 SE came standard with rear speakers, so either they are not working due to a wiring problem or the fader is set for the front only.

And welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy the site and ride safe.. Update your profile so we know where is home for you..

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
Yes, two members are correct about the fader control. Someone could have replaced the OEM speakers if they went bad and put in a cheap set of car speakers, I know I saw that suggestion on another forum. Get a set of waterproof J&M's for the back.
C17Flyer, ask us anything you want there are people here who know a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
As for getting to them,

There are 3 screws inside the trunk on left and right. a number 2 screwdriver and 8mm will get you thru most of the bike.

I took off the whole rear end so I don't remember exactly what else needs to come off if anything but that is the beginning and takes off the small gloveboxes. I think you will see what else you need to remove the speaker boxes.

A couple of screws hold the speaker cover with tab tucked inside the back cover box on the opposite side. take off the screws and work the cover loose. You will see how to lift and slide off the cover.

Others are correct, check the easy stuff first. The J&M are probably the best choice. After it is said and done, you will have tunes and adequate volume but don't expect great quality or thumping loud volume out of a 3 1/2 inch speaker. But you will have a decent sound and whatever you buy, make sure it's waterproof.

good luck, it's not real hard. You should have these off in a couple of beers.

And I forgot my manners, Welcome to the GWOF. Best group you will find.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Also check the wiring connections under the seat to see if they are hooked up. Some one may not have remembered to reconnect them after pulling the rear section to replace the rear tire or rear brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Also check the wiring connections under the seat to see if they are hooked up. Some one may not have remembered to reconnect them after pulling the rear section to replace the rear tire or rear brakes.
Good call BLK.
Might save some time.

Just 4 bolts,2 on each side at the grab handles. Pull the bolts, lay the handles and chrome to the side and lift off the seat.

If BLK is right, you will see small connectors laying there just as he said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took a peek inside the spkr housing, no speakers! Guess the previous owner might have removed them and not replaced. Can't imagine why one wouldn't put speakers back in. I wish it was as easy as turning the fader knob.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Try the forum sponsor Wing Stuff for a set of J&M rear speakers for the GL-1500. The speakers probably went bad and he removed them. The J&M speakers are waterproof, I put in a set about 2 years ago in the fairing of my 1500 and they sound great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts