Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 95 1500, the lowere lights on the lower cowl only come on when the blinker is on. I know there is a way to wire them so they stay on all the time. Can anyone poiint me in the right direction, on what I need to get to do this, and directions on what to do?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Converting the GL1500SE cornering lights into running lights. Firstly locate the relays for the cornering lights. They are located under the fairing lower panels. On some models they may be both on the same side. Follow the wiring from the relays to the connector blocks. On the bikes side of the loom locate the light blue/white wire for one side of the bike and orange/white wire for the other side. Cut these wires and the cornering lights will come on when the ignition is switched on. If you put a small switch oon each wire you can switch back to cornering light operation whenever you want. The wires draw less than one amp, so low current switches will do.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
On my 95 1500, the lowere lights on the lower cowl only come on when the blinker is on. I know there is a way to wire them so they stay on all the time. Can anyone poiint me in the right direction, on what I need to get to do this, and directions on what to do?
This is not my instructions..... mine was converted by the previous owner.

Converting the GL1500SE cornering lights into running lights.

First locate the relays for the cornering lights. They are located under the fairing lower panels. On some models they may be both on the same side. Follow the wiring from the relays to the connector blocks. On the bikes side of the loom locate the light blue/white wire for one side of the bike and orange/white wire for the other side. Cut these wires and the cornering lights will come on when the ignition is switched on. If you put a small switch on each wire you can switch back to cornering light operation whenever you want. The wires draw less than one amp, so low current switches will do.

Here is the main thread on this mod. Here you will find what relays control those lights and others comments and support.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
The cornering lights turned on full time does give more of a presence and makes the bike more visible, but adds nothing for usable night light. I rarely ride at night.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Bear in mind that the lower cowl lights on the 1500 were only intended to be cornering lamps and are angled accordingly. This makes them largely unsuitable for driving visability, but pretty good for being seen. Most States and Provinces in N/A have legislation that prohibits driving lights from being used in conjunction with high beams, plus they have restrictions on how much light (lumens/candlepower) they can put out and be legal.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Bear in mind that the lower cowl lights on the 1500 were only intended to be cornering lamps and are angled accordingly. This makes them largely unsuitable for driving visability, but pretty good for being seen. Most States and Provinces in N/A have legislation that prohibits driving lights from being used in conjunction with high beams, plus they have restrictions on how much light (lumens/candlepower) they can put out and be legal.
That's true up to the the 98 Gold Wing, then Honda wired them as running light and not cornering lights, they came on when you start the bike. I don't remember if they went off when you turned on the high beams, I don't think they did.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
That's true up to the the 98 Gold Wing, then Honda wired them as running light and not cornering lights, they came on when you start the bike. I don't remember if they went off when you turned on the high beams, I don't think they did.
Good call Joe. So in your opinion, can the older ones be upgraded with the lights from the 98 and above without a bunch of $$$.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I added the chrome ring from the SE model to my lights as you can see. They come with a rubber edging I thought the chrome ring added a little something but I think I paid about $50.00 for the rings

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Just checked, they are $55.96 each side
08 RIM, R.
64281-MT8-771 001 $55.96

09 RIM, L.
64291-MT8-771 001 $55.96

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I used the same kit that Joe did on my 93 Aspencade but wired mine into the turn signals and used amber bulbs. So I have amber lights on both front corner, that become turn signals also.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I used the same kit that Joe did on my 93 Aspencade but wired mine into the turn signals and used amber bulbs. So I have amber lights on both front corner, that become turn signals also.
I like this idea. I have been riding around for the last 4,000 miles with one of my bulbs burned out as I haven't been interested in just replacing the burned out bulbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.