Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a two day ride over the Cascade pass this weekend. On my 2nd day, during my pre ride inspection, I noticed that my low beams were inop. On high beam, it appears as two bulbs are light. When on low beam, does not light?

Usually, only ride during daylight hours, so high beam was not a problem coming home.... but I want to fix this.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Check out this website. I think the answer to why this is happening is there.

www.irunact.com

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Both low beams are supposed to be on, you may have a loose connector in the socket for the bulb or the filament broke for low beam.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Check the #8 Relay. Swap it with one that has the same pin configuration.
Also check fuses #3, 5 & 12.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Larry: Here is the simple explanation for the circuit.
Your head light dimmer switch provides voltage to one of two relays Hi beam relay#4 and low beam relay #8 which in turn provide voltage/ current flow to either High or low beam filaments.
I would flush the switch real good with contact cleaner, to be sure the low beam contacts aren't dirty. It could be that relay 8 has died. The box for the relay is partly covered by the left saddle bag. You can save your self a lot of grief by loosening all the bolts that hold the bag on. That will give some wiggle room to get the relay cover off.
The Honda shop has them for between $25.00 $30.00 some after markets are available but I don't know the part numbers.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
P.S. I'm in the GWRRA Gold Book

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Make sure the contact cleaner can be used around plastic. Check at Radio Shack.
Don't forget to check the fuses and relay.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Like the Lady said Radio Shack Contact Cleaner. It could be be the relay but I'd rather check the easy stuff first.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Washington State like Florida if you live near the coast plays havoc with electrical items.
Any time I change a bulb or replace an electrical component I always introduce to the pins or bulb base dielectric grease. Trust me it helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Larry, Cantankerous helped you out on this one. It's a great website & will help you explain what may be causing you problems.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not before.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Larry, have you checked the bulbs themselves yet? The low beam filament almost always goes out before the high beam one does.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Larry, have you checked the bulbs themselves yet? The low beam filament almost always goes out before the high beam one does.
Nope. That makes perfect sense because I hardly ever use the high beams. I haven't checked anything yet.

It is on my agenda today. I did take my windshield off and cut it down and reinstalled it...... thought maybe I knocked off a wire or something. I doubt that is the cause of it.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Gotta appreciate this site, for sure.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I forgot about the car tire on the rear, willing to bet that's the problem, on the 1500 a car tire on there rear has been known to to cause a Harmonic vibration of the cannibbling pin, combine that with low blinker fluid and you got a serious draw on the low beam light fluid. Solution get rid of the car tire. No seriously it's the car tire.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 20 of 27 Posts