Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know it seems stupid, but I cannot figure out how to remove the grips on my '90. On other bikes I've had you removed the bar end weight with an exposed screw, then cut or worked the grips off. These are aftermarket grips installed by a PO, and there is no exposed screw, just metal caps at the end. The grips seem unusually large too, much larger than any I've ever had before. Anyway, it's getting cold, and I bought a set of grip wraps that go under the grips to put on my sport bike last year and never got around to install them. Glad I didn't, they'll be much better on the wing. If only I could figure out how to remove these without destroying them or anything else. They look great on the bike. Color matched with eagles on them. Anyone removed anything like this in the past? Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, I searched on here and around google and came up with nothing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got Grip?

If their aftermarket they are probably glued on. Yep, that means you will have to cut them off. sorry...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
As nightwing said if they are not the OEM grips then they are most likely glued on. I have heard of some people using a heat gun / hair dryer on them to heat them up for removal. I have not done this though so I do not know if it works.

·
Registered
102 Posts
oh ya, there's an idea...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if they need to be cut, they need to be cut. Is there no bar end weight to be removed before sliding off grips?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know a guy who rigged the end of his air compressor hose to direct air into the grips and, in effect, caused the grips to expand a little and slid them off. The prevented them from having to be cut off and ruined.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know a guy who rigged the end of his air compressor hose to direct air into the grips and, in effect, caused the grips to expand a little and slid them off. The prevented them from having to be cut off and ruined.
Thats how I do it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Both the heat and the air methods work. Just use safety glasses if you use the compressor.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Gothmog, are they the foam grips? The foam grips on mine were just a tight fit and twisted right off. The new ones went on the same way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No sir, they ar e leather. I'll post a pic in a minute.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
I'd try twisting the left grip and see if it will move.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts