Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1993 1500 with 17K miles. It sat for about four months. It does not want to idle. It fires up fine with the choke, but when you shut the choke off it dies. I installed new plugs. No change. I thought it may have bad gas so I drained the tank, put in fresh gas and added seafoam and rode it for 100 highway miles. I was hoping this would blow and clean the jets in the carbs. No joy. As soon as you let the revs fall below 1200 it dies. Starts right up again and you can keep it running if you keep reving it up. I am leaning towards a possible vacuum leak somewhere. Also, on a side note, for that 100 mile trip I burned a half a tank of gas. Does that seem excessive at 70mph for 100 miles? Also, does this burn 87 Ocatane or should I go higher?
Thank you for your input. DJ in NOLA

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
yes, the GL1500 runs 87 octane.
Here's a laundry list of may be causing the problem:
1.Incorrect pilot screw adjustment.
2.incorrect carb sync.
3.incorrect idle speed.
5.starter valve stuck open.
6.Intake leak.
7.loose or damaged fuel or emission control vacuum hose.
8.Lean or rich fuel mixture.
9.clogged air filter.
10.clogged fuel filter.

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Well said Trike Lady. If you lived closer I would have you work on my bike. Now as far as the gas mileage goes, at 70mph on my 1200 I would use half a tank. Eric

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome from Seattle!

The gas gauge on my 94 1500 lies and does not reflect the amount of fuel remaining in the tank. The only real way to know how much gas you used would be to fill up the tank again.

A double dose of Seafoam has always straightened out any bike I have had.

Someone with more knowledge will chime in here shortly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been through all that myself. I promise you there is no easy fix for your problem unless extensive diagnostis is performed with the use of a service repair manual.
I recommend using a Honda factory manual. The most important part of this is as I stated while teaching automotive technical classes. If you don`t know how it works you can`t perform an accurate diagnosis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all your help and input.

I have opted to take it to the local Honda shop and let them troubleshoot it. I like to do most things myself, but carbs have never been my specialty. OK, I usually end up with a product less operable than when I started!

Again, much appreciate the help.
Dave in NOLA (New Orleans, LA)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts