Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice in my '98 Aspy owners manual that it says to NOT two a tag-a-long. Why? Is this just the Aspencade or the SE also.
I know trailers are being towed so are you just ignoring the manual? I was wanting to purchase one of Harbor Freights tows for some trips but don't know what to do. Help!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, I have never towed with any of my bikes,but, having said that, there are hitches made for all the GoldWings..as far as I know.:) So, my guess would be that's just Honda trying to cover their butt in case of liability.:D
A case in point; I guy I work with bought a brand new Honda van last yr, he is a licensed mechanic, he wanted to add a trailer hitch himself 'cause he likes to fish & camp and has a small camper and a small boat. Honda stated that you "must" install a factory Honda trans cooler ( by a dealer) or it would VOID the warranty. He wasn't too impressed with that especially since he is fully capable of doing that himself.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
I have a Voyager kit and it comes with a trailer hitch. Yes, it does say not to tow trailers with my 1993 Aspencade in the owners manual and like mentioned above 'Liability'. But somewhere in America someone has a trailer hitch on a 1500 or 1800 and is pulling a small cargo trailer.
Well, your bike is way out of warranty. The trailer should be light enough for the bike to tow when loaded.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I figure if my 1200 is fitted for towing then surely a 1500 can tow!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Liability issues, Honda is just covering their behinds, I put 108,000 miles on my 92 Aspencade and most of that was pulling a trailer. I put 50,000 on my 98SE and a lot of that was pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
They make tow trucks out of Goldwings for use in tight places where they can't get an actual towtruck into...So I don't think there is any problem with a small trailer. I pulled one on a 6,000 mile trip last summer but it is triked...I also pulled one about 6000 miles a couple summers ago with my 84, 1200cc aspencade...no problems...I did try a couple trailers that was easy to overload from a breaking standpoint though. As long as you can stop it, you can pull it without problems. Of course that is just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Joe's correct. Manual says not to tow a trailer. That said, thousands of folks have successfully towed a trailer without any problems. Some think it is better and safer than loading down the Wing with travel bags. Most important thing to remember is when towing, allow additional time and space for stopping and be careful during windy conditions.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Joe is spot on about Honda's take on the trailers. They are an ultra-conservative and safety driven corporation. They don't even recommend pulling trailers with their small cars. I pulled a trailer with my 1200, and my 1500 for many thousands of miles and 12 years without issue. Having said that, it's a different deal when you have something behind you and you need to be aware of load influences, balance changes and the lesser degree of maneuverability; same as any tow vehicle really.

Reactions: GoldWingKing

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I have pulled our Kwik Kamp trailer all over the country, at least 40,000 miles and no problem. That said it is easy to over load a trailer. It might take a little getting used to but it's really no big deal.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
They also say always wear a helmet.................not everybody does..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Notice in my '98 Aspy owners manual that it says to NOT two a tag-a-long. Why? Is this just the Aspencade or the SE also.
I know trailers are being towed so are you just ignoring the manual? I was wanting to purchase one of Harbor Freights tows for some trips but don't know what to do. Help!!
:eek:I personally would never tell you to pull a trailer with your GL1500. However, I have pulled trailers numerous, numerous miles with all my wings, ie, 1984, 90, 92, 96 and 97, never had the first problem. No difference between the Aspencade and SE other than a few more bells and whistles. Certainly nothing on the rear to prevent installation of a hitch. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,791 Posts
I would only hesitate to pull a Harbor Freight trailer due to the weight of the trailer itself.

Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The weight of the trailer is lighter than most I have seen on web. It weighs 138 lbs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Probably Honda disclaimer so they are not liable for any mishaps while pulling a trailer. Alot of folks use home made rigs and I am sure that some folks overload them and don't distribute the weight correctly, I've see some trailers moving around behind bikes that was scary. I have been towing a trailer for years on my (2) 1500's and (2) 1800's.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nope! not mine or the bike:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does anyone notice a small amount of head shake at low speed while pulling there trailer?
Last summer after installing new tires, I experienced a slight wobble and drifting when I reached speed of 60 mph. Turned out that the rear tire was out of round and was moving laterally causing a whip lash effect thru the trailer. Replaced the tire, problem solved. Proir to that I have not had any problems or wobbles pulling any trialer. This is my second trailer.

In your case there may be a combination of issues: tongue weight may be too heavy, trailer not loaded evenely, bike loaded too heavy,tire inflation on bike and trailer not correct, steering head bearing need adjusting, front springs too week, fork brace, rear suspension not stiff enough. I mention all these things because I have had to make these adjustments over the years pulling trailers. I installed progessive front springs, progressive rear shock(s), & fork brace. I do ride aggressively and sometimes run 75 mph on the highway w/ the trailer. (is your trailer home made, a kit, or a factory built trailer. Some factory trailers are not the best quality or very percise.
:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Find a light weight trailer, don't overload it and you will be just fine. Some overload them with oversize coolers, spare tires, tools, etc. I used a soft insulated 6-pak cooler, no spare, a wrench to take off the same and packed mostly just clothes in the trailer. I've never seen a flat trailer tire and I've gone on numerous trips where everyone is pulling one.
Just don't forget you got it back there.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I bought a Harbor freight trailer this past summer and i pull it with my 1996 1500 SE with NO PROBLEM ! We are preparing to go to the smokies in a few weeks and plan to pull the trailer . It is the best thing i have ever done , gives us so mush more space for our stuff , chairs , small tent , sleeping air mattress , cooler, clothes, many other items .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts