Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any major differences between the first year and last year they made the 1500? I have a 1200 Aspenccade now, and am thinking about trading up to a 1500.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
They made some small changes over the years but nothing magor that I can recall. There are some good deals out there on used 1500's hope you can find one. They are a great bike and good for many, many miles. I have almost 176,000 on my 93.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Are there any major differences between the first year and last year they made the 1500? I have a 1200 Aspenccade now, and am thinking about trading up to a 1500.
The latest upgrade to the 1500 was in 1996. I can't remember what all the upgrades were, but I do remember that is when they changed the alternater. I had a web site that told about the history. I will try to find it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Really 2 big items.

the frame issues on the first couple of years and then the lower seat around 94 or 95.

As with all things manufactured, the first years are spent making improvements, the last are spent on finding ways to save money. The new buzz word is "adequate".

That doesn't make any models bad, just saying that is the mindset in manufacturing.
A few rare failures in the beginning means they must improve the weak link. at the end, it is to find where they went overboard and look for savings while still providing a good product.

good luck on your search. my guess is it is more important to find one well taken care of with proof.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Check that link that Jackpoet gave you. Answers a lot of your questions..

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Big Daddy, I traded up recently from an 85 LTD to a 95 Aspencade. There is no comparison to the bikes; like night and day. It is an incredible upgrade and no looking back. Probably the guys with 1800's say the same thing about the 1500. Working my way up the food chain too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Also,

In 1990, Honda mod'ded the engine with "helical gears"? to make it even quieter than the 88 and 89 models. After 1989, reverse wasn't stock on all GW models, so make sure the bike you're looking at has reverse - and that it works - if it's what you want. The CB radio was not a stock item in 1989. The whole line had the car-like alternator, though in the early/mid-90's, I believe, Honda went to a cheaper alternator that is more prone to failure than earlier models.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
The Interstate GL1500 doesn't have reverse, cruise or on-board air compressor and it also has a basic radio.
You want either and Aspencade or SE.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts