Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
OK, so what is a darksider?
Essentially it is a person who craves more mileage from their tire wear so they put a car tire on in place of the motorcycle tire.

Reactions: BMills

·
Registered
344 Posts
This has been an informative thread. We had some discussion of outer diameter and it's effects. There seems to only be a choice between taller and shorter.

Shorter is out for me. We turn enough R's at highway speed and a Wing needs all the cornering clearance it came with.

A taller tire seems to have fender clearance problems. Additionally, it's nice to be able place both feet on the ground.

Some posters have mentioned punctures. Does the flatter surface increase the odds of picking up nails? Does a wider tire footprint hydro plane easier? Remember your contact area is determined by air pressure not shape.

So--is there a car tire that has the same diameter as stock?

·
Registered
114 Posts
So on the Austone 175/R16 what is the aspect ratio 65, 70, 75. That number determines the overall height or diameter of the tire. This value determines whether the tire will fit under the bike and the rpm drop/increase through the gears. A smaller diameter will produce higher rpm but better hole-shot/pulling power, the larger diameter will lower the rpm and reduce torque at the same time. This is a game of compromises and it all depends on what the individual wants.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I finally went darkside, have the tire mounted and ready had problem during routine maintenance, found my boot covering the u-joint had a hole in it. now waiting for part to start reassembly. Can't wait to try this tire out, with the higher weight limit on the Austone verses the M/T. Personally don't care about drop in rpm just more miles out of the tire.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The drop in rpm at road speed and for long range touring is a plus for fuel mileage as well as longevity of the rear tire, actually less wear on your engine and trans. So it is a plus plus plus if all other claims of ride and handling are true. I can see why most Darksiders refuse to come back to mc tires. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I have seen a forum for Darksiders for 1500's and 1800's, does anybody know if any of this info will pertain to my 1100? I plan on putting some outriggers ( training wheels) on this 83 GW I have and think the C/T's would be better for this set up. Any advice would be great, thanx.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Finally got the bike back together after waiting for the u-joint boot for 10 days, I do like the taxi tire but have a question for others, does it seem to have a roll feel almost like it is low on air? I started with 42 psi and could really feel it went up 2 lbs and seem to be better. went on about 150 mile cruise with Laura and I have to say I really do like the tire and the way it handles, almost like the M/T does. Hopefully will get several thousand miles out of this tire. It did lower the rpms a little (250) or so but it did not seem to help the mileage any got 33 mpg 2 up running 75 to 80. All I can say is WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG.

·
Registered
185 Posts
try 50psi, and work your way down until you feel the rolling resistance again, then back up 1psi.
I will be going to the Austone tire for my 2 wheeler, simply for lower rpms, and of course the better tire wear. Have a Goodyear fuel-max on my sidecar rig and it performed awesome in a blinding rainstorm in Mi a couple weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
try 50psi, and work your way down until you feel the rolling resistance again, then back up 1psi.
I will be going to the Austone tire for my 2 wheeler, simply for lower rpms, and of course the better tire wear. Have a Goodyear fuel-max on my sidecar rig and it performed awesome in a blinding rainstorm in Mi a couple weeks ago.
I will try that Bob, I am not far from it now may go up to 46 psi and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,348 Posts
I recently put an Austone Taxi tire (175) on the rear of my 1500, as well as dual Progressive air shocks. One thing I strongly suggest is that you do NOT run it much below is load rating of 55psi. I tried 32psi, then 35psi, then 40psi and they were all terrible. It is not a run-flat, so it requires the air pressure to stiffen the sidewalls. I currently run mine at 50psi for general purpose riding, with the Progressives at 75psi. Before running the Dragon in about 2 weeks, I'll raise the tire to 52psi and the shocks to 80psi.

I did have to remove the rubber flap and metal holder at the bottom of the front inner rear fender for clearance. Would I do the Austone again? Probably not. It was a PITA to accommodate and running low pressure led to one of the most terrifying experiences I've ever had on a motorcycle, rocking from edge-to-edge on the rear tire at 75+mph. Took a lot of miles and more air adjustments to find its sweet spot. Runs fine now, but I literally have a grudge against this tire for all the crap it put me through to get to this point.

At this point, my guess is that after I have another 10,000-15,000 miles on it, regardless of how it looks, I'll pull it off and put a Michelin Commander II M/C on the back. I have one on the front and it runs and wears well. I don't want a run-flat in lieu of the Austone. That edge just doesn't make sense to me. Don't want to have to overcome it leaning into a curve and don't want it flipping me back flat when straightening out.

What I really don't get is the standard argument from Darksiders that it's about getting many more miles out of the rear tire. Hell, I'm as cheap as they get, but I value PERFORMANCE over everything else and I simply don't see a performance improvement with a car tire. What really confuses me is that the folks who claim the benefits of extended rear tire mileage on the one hand will spend gobs of money on every farkle that comes down the pike with the other hand. Just don't get it.

Reactions: BMills

·
Registered
143 Posts
Finally got the bike back together after waiting for the u-joint boot for 10 days, I do like the taxi tire but have a question for others, does it seem to have a roll feel almost like it is low on air? I started with 42 psi and could really feel it went up 2 lbs and seem to be better. went on about 150 mile cruise with Laura and I have to say I really do like the tire and the way it handles, almost like the M/T does. Hopefully will get several thousand miles out of this tire. It did lower the rpms a little (250) or so but it did not seem to help the mileage any got 33 mpg 2 up running 75 to 80. All I can say is WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG.
Bill
I have the tax tire on my 1500 2 wheeler. I am running it 30 psi. I have never ridden it 2 up with the taxi tire. Think I have about 9000mi on it. I have 3 1/2 mi of gravel to get to work and it handles so much better on gravel. So far I love it. I get 35 - 36 mpg riding 60 -70 mph When I get above 3000 rpm the millage go's down fast.

·
Registered
48 Posts
front dark side?

ok heres one fro you double darksiders,im going darkside as soon as the e-3 is worn out,i need a front tire NOW,has any body just ran darkside on front only??? and what tire.......ron

·
Registered
185 Posts
ok heres one fro you double darksiders,im going darkside as soon as the e-3 is worn out,i need a front tire NOW,has any body just ran darkside on front only??? and what tire.......ron
yes, on my 93 i have a pilot activ on front, waiting for my rich uncle to get out of the poorhouse so i can sping the $150 for an Austone for the rear
No adverse effects that I can tell, virtually zero difference in handling, my speedo is now 4mph slow at 95 though

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Bill
I have the tax tire on my 1500 2 wheeler. I am running it 30 psi. I have never ridden it 2 up with the taxi tire. Think I have about 9000mi on it. I have 3 1/2 mi of gravel to get to work and it handles so much better on gravel. So far I love it. I get 35 - 36 mpg riding 60 -70 mph When I get above 3000 rpm the millage go's down fast.
Dirtman, do you not have a roll feeling with 30 psi? Even 1 up I had the roll feeling at 42 psi, will ride again tomorrow and I am going to start at 50 psi like Bob suggested and go from there. So far I like how the tire handles and rides and I'm getting real close to the right pressure for that perfect ride and feel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi group just went double darkside austone on rear bt-45 mounted backwards too cold and snowy here to ride,had bt-45 on front for a while liked how it felt over an e-3,cant wait to try the austone,i only ride twistys(live in wv) what air pressures works for u all? 50 50 2 up

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm use to Goodyear rear but just the same start at 34 lbs then try it then add3-5 lbs and try it again. Keep adding and testing. If the ride gets to stiff drop 5 lbs and go for it. As far as50 lbs well try it but I'm sure that's a lot.I have road 2 up a lot at 36-40 lbs on the Dragon in NC. Works great for me. And I pull wheelies up there.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I ride with motorcycle tires, and have read this thread with interest. A lot of it makes sense, but have any of you guys collected on your "free front end alignments?"

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ride with motorcycle tires, and have read this thread with interest. A lot of it makes sense, but have any of you guys collected on your "free front end alignments?"
Actually yes I have. Local Tire Discounter does a free alignment with purchase of any tire, They were cheaper than tire rack on my tire. Used my free alignment on my Magnum

·
Registered
120 Posts
I never dispute over the Darksider dilemma but I can tell you this I have 142000 enjoyable miles on my 1988 Wing and I bet I have bought less amount of tires and saved a boat load of money I spent elsewhere in my travels. Its not an argue point its just a matter of dollars and sense. $$$$........

21 - 40 of 61 Posts