Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question has been asked over and over and trying to find the right Car Tire for the 1500 is a exercise in futility. So, in order to give some help to those asking "What car tire will fit my 1500, lets do this. I have been asked to add this information. Please state the size of the MC tire that you are replacing....ie..."160/80-xx"

1. Year of your 1500
2. List your tire name and size
3. Run Flat or Not Run Flat
4. Miles on your Car Tire at your posting.
5. Evaluate your Car Tire's overall performance. 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.
6. Will you stay a Darksider? Yes/No
7. Please list the size of the M/C tire your replacing. ie..."160/80-xx

This way anyone wanting to explore going Darkside with their 1500 can read this thread and at least compile a list of tires and a little data to help them make a decision without having to roam every thread on the subject attempting to get information.

Isaac

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm using a rear Pilot Activ 130/70H-18 on the front, and a CT195/60-16 Dunlop M&S, on the rear.
My personal opinion would be useless for a 2 wheeler since i have a sidecar but I really like the CT ride versus the MC tire. Quieter, smoother, less harsh on bumps. Only around 2k miles so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 1990 1500GL
Austone Taxi 175R 16C on the back
Non run flat
On the front I have a BTX 130/70-18 (REAR TYRE)
Mounted both at the same time 14,200 miles ago.
Best move I ever made will never go back to MC tyres.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
1. 1993 Aspencade
2. Austone Taxi 175/80-R16 (balanced with 2oz of Dyna beads) running 48 Psi
3. Not Run Flat
4. 202 miles
5. so far would rate a 8 out of 10, will be higher once I can see MPG's and how it lasts
6. Will you stay a Darksider? Yes

EDIT 5/5/14

I changed tire pressure to 38, and seems to be better, might go 32 or 35, will update again when I get it sorted. Had a slight wiggle at 75-85 on the interstate that was not there before, nothing scary or constant but was noticable, lowering the air pressure definatley seemed to improve and almost eliminate the wiggle.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so out of the 16,500 members on this forum, there are only 3 that went Darkside on the 1500's. Pretty amazing statistics huh?..Isaac

·
Premium Member
8,348 Posts
Well, Isaac, I'm ready to take the plunge with an Austone Taxi tire on the rear but haven't gotten it done yet due to my dislocated right shoulder. It's getting better, slowly, but not sure I'll get it done by the end of this riding season, which is only about 4 more weeks here, if we're lucky. So, I can't comment on how great it is, but based on all I've read I'm confident that it will be a good move.

After all, if nothing else it makes me and my Wing more like WARWGN/Dustin, and who DOESN'T want to be more like him?:)

Hi Dustin!:dancing troll::icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Darkside

I have almost 3000 mi on my Austone taxi tire. It is quieter, smother ride and handles much better on gravel!
96 SE
Not run Flat
rate it 8 or 9 maybe 10 after more mi
Will I stay a darksider YES
Dunlap Elite lll 160/80-16

·
Registered
120 Posts
!988 GL1500 Goodyear Assurance 175/60-16, no runflat, this is my 2nd one and last tire had 22,500 miles when I replaced it. I really only changed it cause I picked up a screw and had to plug it to get home...I probably would of finished the season but I don't like plugs. I was a Darksider before they gave it the name and always will be one...You have any idea how many tires I haven't had to buy riding over 40 years now...Its not rocket science its dollars and sense....

·
Banned
5 Posts
My question is what modification if any must we do to get a Valkyrie or vtx rim to mount on a 1500? I plan to darkside but would prefer a 5+" wide rim as I intend to use a 175/60-16 to lower the seat and gearing a bit. I would assume a Valkyrie 1500 rim should be rather simple, the 15' vtx would be more ideal better tire election. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

·
Premium Member
8,348 Posts
I just wanted to post on your thread, Isaac, as an actual GL1500 Darksider! I like it a lot and doubt I'll ever go back. Had a Pilot GT on the back and it was OK, except it wore out like a gum eraser during the last 500 miles! Photo below.:surprise:

Only modification made to accommodate the new Austone Taxi tire was removing the rubber flap from the front of the rear inner fender. How much of the great ride is due to the Austone vs. the new Progressive rear air shocks I don't know, but it is a very nice ride now! Per Eric The Hoon's recommendation, I put a Michelin Commander II tire on the front and bead balancers in both tires and it really does feel like it's running on a rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
My question is what modification if any must we do to get a Valkyrie or vtx rim to mount on a 1500? I plan to darkside but would prefer a 5+" wide rim as I intend to use a 175/60-16 to lower the seat and gearing a bit. I would assume a Valkyrie 1500 rim should be rather simple, the 15' vtx would be more ideal better tire election. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
My first tire only went 11k miles and was close to wear bars. Could be that it was a all season, which has lower expected mileage and softer rubber.
I replaced it with a Goodyear 175/60-16 and so far at about 5k miles, it appears to be wearing better(less) than the Dunlop did. Tried to put a 195/60-16 Goodyear in place of the Dunlop but it would not fit. Seems the Dunlop tires are actually on the small end of the allowable tolerance for tire dimensions, and Goodyear is not.

·
Banned
5 Posts
That us why I was wondering about going to the Valkyrie rear rim. A 185/60 will have shorter sidewalls and hence less flex. So w the 5" wide rim would not stress the corners of the carcass as bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 1993 Goldwing SE 1500 I installed a Bridgestone 175/60/R16 on the rear, I now have over 14K miles on it with little wear. I did not like it at first as I had a high speed wobble. I installed a radial tire on the front and what a difference, the bike handled great no problems with ruts in the road, smooth and quite. This rear tire works great and fits well with no mods, but if you install it also install a radial tire in front.
I picked up a screw and put a plug in it but it is leaking so I guess I need to change my tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
I 'am running the Austone Taxi Tire 175/R16, it does rub if I hit a bump real hard, I have the Progressive air shocks running about 45-50 PSI. I run around 41psi in both tires. Had a Bridgestone Car tire on before and got a screw in it after 14000 miles, it was smaller in Diameter. With the Austone Taxi Tire I lost 250 RPM at 65MPH and improved my gas mileage from 34 to well over 40 MPG. I like the Austone Taxi tire. If you are vertically challenged go with the Bridgestone, it will lower the bike about 1.5 inches other wise go with the Austone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I lost 250 RPM from the Bridgestone tire vs the Austone Taxi both car tires. I did gain about 200RPM from the M/C tire to the Bridgestone car tire.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Guess I'm sticking with mc tire. Too short at 5'8" to add height and rpm is high enough. Sure wish I had a 6 speed in my 1500.

Maybe someone makes a tire at same height. Already got plans for an ebay wheel I can chrome or powder coat. Plans on hold.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I lost 250 RPM from the Bridgestone tire vs the Austone Taxi both car tires. I did gain about 200RPM from the M/C tire to the Bridgestone car tire.
I would like to drop back closer to 3k at 70mph, but I would guess diameter limits will keep me from obtaining that goal
Going to CT on my sidecar rig it was helpful to increase rpm from what it was with mt, on my 2 wheeler i want the opposite

1 - 20 of 61 Posts