Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I have a '99 GL 1500 SE. Evidently Honda changed the crash bars in '98 and now it appears to me to be impossible to mount highway pegs on these crash bars. Previous to '98, 1500's had really good bars for mounting hiway pegs to. My questions are: 1) Will pre '98 crash bars fit my bike? and 2) where is the best place to look for said bars if indeed they will fit? Thanks for your help.

lej

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Yes, they are interchangeable and whatever works for you as to comfort. I have the loop shape crash bars on my 93. I use what's called a 'Toe Rest', it allows me to put my heel on the foot peg and toe on this metal tab on the crash bar.
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine (1998se) came with non-Honda foot rest mounted on the crash bars. The space is tight for a mounting bracket ( I had to remove and reinstall them due to adjustment issue).

Just be sure what you buy either came off a '98 to 2000 or if new, is made for your year bike. I cannot confirm the first year of the change but I am aware of what you are speaking of. So just confirm what you buy is made for your year.

Related subject is many many bike part suppliers are having end of year sales with real price cuts. So shop around as to get the greatest discount off retail as possible (include shipping for total price) while checking return policy incase it does not fit.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
All the crash bars are the same size, on the 88 to 97 you had a top and bottom crash bar, on the 98 up you only had the bottom of the crash bar, same as on the 1800, there are several highway pegs that will work you don't have to get a set made just for the 88 to 97 GW that mount between the top and bottom bar.
If you look close you can see a bar that runs between the top and bottom bar on the crash bar and the highway bar is mounted to that bar in this picture

In this picture is the newer style that mounts on the bottom bar. I had these on my 98Se and on both my 1800's

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Here is a pic of my 98 SE with the highway boards. You can see where they attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input. Still have not decided what to do but at least now I will be able to make an informed decision. 'Preciate it.

LJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
success

Quite by accident I discovered wingstuff.com and they had exactly what I wanted. I ordered the crash bars in the pre '98 configuration for $109 (vs. Honda's almost $400) and they are now on the bike. They look great and the hwy pegs I put on 'em work EXACTLY the way I wanted them to. Thank you all for your input.

LJ

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
A belated welcome from Virginia. I see your from Cave Creek. Carefree Highway through Cave Creek is my route to Beeline Hwy when I head east. I'll be out there the first week in April.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
LJ, glad you found what you want & welcome to the site.

C'mon April. We'll be out there as well. Actually Little Lady & I are on fact finding mission. Your area is High on our list of retirement possibilities.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I cut the rear off the crash bar, capped them with 7/8" chrome plugs. modified the mounting bracket and put the highway boards on the bottom tube. Works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts