Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. looking for some help with an intermitant problem. When trying to start my 99 1500, the statrter does not turn. I noticed that the nuetral lite is not lit even in neutral. Tried clutch in/out, side stand up/down, kill switch on/off, cycled the ignition key. pulled & reset all fuses. When the neutral lite finally comes on it starts. It happens some times & sometimes is OK. Anybody got any good ideas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like the neutral switch is bad, or has a loose/corroded connection. The service manual should have the info for locating/testing the switch/circuit.
Every once and a while, mine will also not show "neutral". I have to flip the shifter a couple of times to get it to go into neutral, and then it will start. I'm not sure if mine is a switch issue, or worn internal shifter components.
hth

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cranking 1500

Hi! I would suspect the reverse/nuetral switch which is located under the left shelter where your reverse lever is located. It is a double micro switch. When it acts up, it exhibits the same symptons you are experiencing. If the nuetral switch acts up, the clutch switch should still overide it and start, providing the side stand is up. Best guess is to look at the reverse switch, new they are around $15.00.... Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
'98 1500 Cranking Problem

I, too, am having this same issue and was planning to take my bike into the shop tomorrow. The one thing I don't understand, and as bobhrc1 posted, I can't see why the clutch switch does not override and allow the starter to engage. My issue happened yesterday when I tried to leave work and I cannot get the neutral light on again, regardless of what I try. I should add that I used Reverse to get into a parking stall and then could never get back to having the "green light".
I've had the bike for 2 years and have had sporadic issues with getting the neutral light on for some time now. Previously, I've been able to find the right location with the shifter, but it takes a while.
Any ideas where I should start looking....internal shifter issues or switch issues? Thx.

·
Registered
39 Posts
reverse switch...

Hi Fordman.. It is most likely the reverse switch causing the problem. I was trying to state "if" it was the nuetral switch the clutch switch would override it. But, that is not the case, the nuetral switch is good. when the reverse switch acts up, nothing will override it. The switch part number is: 35370-MN5-003. Is it spring yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
reverse switch

BOBHRC1 ~ Thanks for the feedback. I have contacted a few dealers and that switch is a special order item. It will take a week for delivery and I'm missing out on some nice 65 degree riding weather! Spring cannot get here soon enough, that is for sure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure your reverse lever is fully down. The man I bought my 98 1500 from warned me of that very thing. He had the same experience as you. Backed it in the parking space and later nothing. Turned out the reverse lever was not where it belonged. Just an idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks OLPOKY. Yes, I have tried that several times. I have engaged Reverse, taken it back out, ensured that the lever was completely down.....and repeated the same process on multiple occasions. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GL1500 neutral light/cranking problems

Hello; i am having the same problem. it has cost me over $800 at the dealership. they say they can't really duplicate the problem, but then i have been paying for them to take a stab in the dark about it. first time was to replace the neutral switch, second time was to change the gearshift mechanism. both times the mechanics say they tried and tested everything from wires to switches, even the reverse gear switch, and blah, blah, but were unable to see anything, ie no corrosion, shorts, malfunctions etc. it has been very frustrating and expensive, but the problem persists. i will try some of these suggestions myself and see if they work. the problem is intermittant, but it seems to happen at the most inconvenient time. thanks for listening. SDB

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think BOBHRC1 had the ultimate answer....the reverse/neutral switch. If I remember correctly, the mechanic I took my bike to actually replaced a switch that was either inside the transmission or up in behind the transmission. That resolved part of the problems I was experiencing. Ultimately, it took replacing the $15 reverse/neutral switch to solve the issue. If this switch is bad, pulling in the clutch handle will not override it and allow it to start. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Guys! That's one of those bang your head with your hand while saying 'Uff Da!, why didn't I think of dat!" I noticed that I also get a faint glow of the reverse light on my dash when it's acting up. Good to know that this switch also eliminates the Clutch Switch by-pass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts