Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, New Member here. I have a 91 Wing with a side cover problem. One of the tits...( can a new guy say that?) broke off, needless to say it won't stay on. Any way to fix it or attach so it does stay on? I have a WTB buy in the classifieds if any one has one to sell. Thanks all, and its nice to be here.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Have you tried bikebandit.com? When one of mine fell off after having the same problem they fixed me up. ( Now I know why the name bike "bandit". It was costly but having a nice looking bike has to count for something.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all, I was out for my daily walk. I've looked on E-Bay for a side cover . They range in price from not too bad to OMG! I'll try BikeBandit. As far as plastic welding goes, where do you find someone that does plastic welding? I looked in the phone book, no luck. Online maybe?

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I've heard of some snowmobile shops that do it. Seems that welding a plastic gas tank for a sled is or was fairly common.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You All. I may have a fix in the works. Heres the deal. I live in Southern California. I have dealt with Highland Cycles in Highland CA near San Bernardino for many years. As a matter of fact, that is where I bought my 1500, years ago. GREAT, clean and well stocked shop, great people. They specialize in GoldWings, Trikes and Valkyries. Since it was a nice day here in SoCal, 75 and sunny, and I needed a new Battery Tender, I rode down to see them. Since my Wing is down till I get my side cover fixed, I rode my 97 Valkyrie. Yeah, I have a thing for the big sixes! I put my side cover in the T-Bag on the back of the Valk and took it down for Paul the owner to look at. He had a nipple for the side covers. When they get side covers in that are too damaged to use, they cut off the nipples and save them. He also gave me a card for a place that they use here in the area that Plastic Welds. YES! I also bought some new grommets while I was there . So, Monday morning I will be on the phone and hopefully I can get my Wing fixed for a resonable price. Thanks again all for the help and pointing a new guy in the right direction. I'll post again when I get my bike fixed. Ride Safe All.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Repair

I have a 1500 that has the same problem. There are several ways to go to fix your (grommet pin). The panels are made of
ABS plastic. You can go to a hardware store and get some ABS glue at the plumbing section. It's black and comes in a small round can with an applicator brush thats part of the lid of the can. Get some fiberglass drywall tape (looks like screen mesh). Glue the tab back on the panel and let it dry overnight. Then lay some small pieces of the tape along the seem of the repair and glue this down with more ABS glue. Think fiberglassing technique. Also, JB Weld works great. There are websites that have products just for ABS panel repairs. Lots of ways to fix broken tabs like yours and also cracked panels. One great website is (www.urethanesupply.com) They have some great instructional videos that demonstrate their product but also show the same technique to use when using ABS glue or JB Weld. Good luck and hope this helps. Bye the way I had several different panels on my 1500 that had problems. Using just ABS glue, JB Weld and the tape on the different repairs all my panels are fixed without having to resort to new panels or new paint. Good Luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fixed mine and it works perfectly
I went to advance auto and bought some permatex brand plastiweld
and they also had a package of Nissan Altima door panel "tits" the exact right size
for like 4 in the box for a couple of buck$.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There is an e-bay seller that sells just the tabs, $9.99 for three..not bad!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beige..Lost side cover

On my way back to Fla from WV, averaging 3300 rpm most of the way, took me 1 1/2 days
867 miles.....after looking at this well maintained Honda, I noticed most of the grommets were toast, cracking......well long story short......side cover flew of going thru Georgia...I need help finding one or I'll listen to chrome stories..........:dancing troll:

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I get out my solder iron and a black zip tie and plastic solder them together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts