Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that my '88 doesn't have air forks:( But, the Haynes manual I have that covers '88~2000 shows air valves under the fork caps; What year did they reintroduce them?:confused:

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I have them on my 93. Don't know what year they put them on.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Doesn't list it in the Clymer 1988-1992 manual having air, but my 1993 Aspencade has it. Not sure of the year either.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK..thanks guys..ahh.. & girls:D This may be a dumb question,but, could I drill and tap the caps to add an air valve? Or, would the forks need something internal to support that?

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
The drawing shows what's inside the fork tube of the air assist. See arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess there are two different set-ups then, I haven't taken it apart but it looks like I have the "A" set up according to that drawing.
I have no valves on top of my forks..although it's nice and flat under the cap covers, that's why I thought maybe I could add them....guess not..alrighty then..off to hunt down some Progressives!

Wait! Could the same # of Progressives fit the 1200's AND the 1500's?..Because I have two sets waiting to go in my Standard & Aspencade. I could "borrow" one set for the 15 if they work? hmmmm...:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
just replace the factory springs with the progressive springs and you will not need to add air

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Bladerunner I think you're on the right track as well. Progressives are short dollars compared to the output you get.

Go Progressive & bag the air.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Speaking of Progressive Springs, I have some questions. I just put Progressive springs on my (97 SE). The springs they took out looked just like the progressive (a wider to narower spring winding). Do the stock springs look like the progressive? I was just wondering if a previous owner had put progressive springs on it. Also I had 6 lbs put in. Someone said the air is not needed with progressive springs.
Is that correct that?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
looking at parts numbers you cannot use 1200 springs ( t-77-1122/pds-222020 ) on a 1500 ( t-77-522/pps-111152 )

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys; I was at my local dealer this morning & he told me they are different. He says they are on back order tlll end of July for some reason.
OK, on to my next question,:D The reason I went to my local was to pick up some fork bushings to rebuild the front end, already have seals & dust covers.
Last night while tinkering I found a badly leaking shift shaft seal, got the new one,but, the shaft has a lot of play in it, I looked at the exploded view on the dealers computer. There is no bearing to support the shaft, is this play "normal" for a 1500? My buddy who just stopped by looked at it, he said his Voyager 1200 was the same when he replaced his shift seal.
Honestly, I didn't check the pinch bolt to see if it was tight,but, it looks like it's the shaft.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, got the new seal in..actually there was very little play in the shift..the old seal was just as hard as a rock! Now, I need to clean up all the parts I had to remove to get to the seal!:eek:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just realized that my '88 doesn't have air forks:( But, the Haynes manual I have that covers '88~2000 shows air valves under the fork caps; What year did they reintroduce them?:confused:
I believe it was 1989 that the air shocks and an onboard compressor were included.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a compressor, just no air valves on the forks.:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts