Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install a 12v accessory socket in the center compartment (where the airbag would usually be) of my 2012. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any rx?

M

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I would hope Mother Honda put an axillary plug in there like she did for us pre-2012 owners. Can the compartment pocket be removed to expose what's underneath it ?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I want one for my 2010 real bad , but I suck at stuff like that

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
This is not rocket science stuff. All the ingredients are there. Pull the pocket out, drill a hole for the power outlet to fit through, plug in the provided wire harness.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't seem to figure out how to remove the center compartment. Thats actually whats holding me up. The wiring aspect is no prob.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I can't seem to figure out how to remove the center compartment. Thats actually whats holding me up. The wiring aspect is no prob.
Of course I don't have a 2012 manual. Take a picture of the box with the lid up. I would think it would secure just like all the other 1800's. Where are our 2012 riders ???????

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
This is not rocket science stuff. All the ingredients are there. Pull the pocket out, drill a hole for the power outlet to fit through, plug in the provided wire harness.
I can still see me messing this up lol

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'll go on the website and see if there's any probs taking that centre pocket out. Biggest thing I can forsee is the length of the pigtail to plug the accessory plug into the harness, but a bit of appropriate size wire and some solder and heat shrink can cure that.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
All I can find in the 2012 service manual is dismantling the front shelter, not unlike the manual for my '09. I'm sure there is an easier way on the non-airbag model but since I wasn't able to get a '12 model I have no first hand knowledge of how certain parts (the center compartment for example) might come off. I'll toalk to one of my other dealer buddies who mught have some info to share.
OK, struck out there, but I'd pop that cover on the compartment, and see if the inner tray just snaps in (do a good visual first and don't just blindly try prying it out. There just might be some pins or ties or something hlding that rascal in place. If you don't miond doing the tupperware removal the top shelter isn't all that difficult to remove, just a bit of time and care. You're going to need to take the fairing pocket out to retrieve the wire harness anyway so it might be best to take the top shelter off at the same time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like I'll be exploring some unknown areas. I'll shoot some pictures as I go...IF it works our. My whole purpose is to add power to the center compartment so I can lock up the blue tooth, ipod, cell phones, etc as they charge.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Lee that's a deal , have to figure out which one
My choice would be the one listed in the heading "GL1800 & Universal Electrical Connection Power Plugs ". Item # EC02205 @ $14.95. Someone is going to get a power plug out of this thread and I hope it's Migolito too. These riders with the brand new bikes have to wait for the information to be published. Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I removed the left compartment (stupid easy) which reveals the Red plug. It also give me limited access to the side of the center compartment. I guess I could snake the wire through IF I didn't want the actual plug flush mounted in the center compartment. I could drill a wire size hole in the wall of the compartment and simply let the plug hang. I may do that as a last resort, however, for now I'd like to flush mount.
The way continues...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. Since the purpose of adding this electrical supply is to enable charging of my BlueTooth com, cell phones and Ipods in a secure location, I'm simply going to connect the charging cord ( two came with my Sena com) to the red connector and run the cord through a rubber grommet drilled in the side of the center compartment. Adding an inline 5 amp fuse for good measure.
This will mean the cord is not removable, however, I wasn't planning on removing it anyway, and the access behind the side compartment takes less than 60 seconds if I need to access the fuse/plug.

Comments/concerns please.

M

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
for what it's worth,

I just installed my cig socket in the trunk a couple weeks ago and intentionally wired it straight to the battery in the oft chance I needed or wanted to charge a phone while eating etc.
I can easily see it on, the unit is lit and put in a 2 prong switch to turn it on and off.
So far, it was worked out. Not yet left it on as I will see the light each time I put up my helmet. Just a thought, if this is the wire and place you want, is there place to put a very small led as a reminder along with a on/off switch?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i am one of the worst mechanics but I installed the 12volt adapter in the left fairing pocket of my 2010 GW in less then 10 minutes. the part came with simple instructions and was very easy to install.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts