Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to take the Wing in to the dealer for the 12000 mile maintenance. I was quoted $385 for the maintenance, that, is replace oil and filter, replace brake fluid, replace clutch fluid, replace air filter. I have to add $50 to mount the Dunlop E3 (front) that i am purchasing online. Does this sound about right?

·
Banned
61 Posts
The expense is slightly more here at a shop but then again everything is more expensive here in California. But to be safe call other shops and see what they charge. They dont even have to be in your city, you can at least get an idea of what they charge in your region.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
change the oil yourself then look at the clutch and brake fluids ( both use brake fluid ) generally the fluid is clear and the darker it is the older it is. i've had my 1500 wing about 4yrs now and the clutch and brake fluid haven't been changed, thats on next years maintanince list

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Donald direct answer to your question. Seems about right probably charging 3-4 hrs to the job, if shop rate is $50-$60 per hr you're looking at somewhere around $200 in labor & then the parts. So my guess is that's about right.

Like Doc says not hard to do but then you have to do it.;)

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Cost seem in the ball park. I usually change my oil and filter and the final drive oil. The rest I let the dealer take care of.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Sounds pretty close to me too. Have you had the brake recall done yet?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Cost is fair but at 12,000 miles you probably do not need the air filter changed unless you ride in dirt a lot. The brake & clutch fluids can easily go 2 years without changing, depending on how many miles since your last oil change I would say thats all you need. And you can do that yourself. The air filter change can be about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hrs to do. That's most of your cost. IF you have it done tell them you want to see the old air filter when they change it, judge for yourself how often it needs changing after you see it. I changed mine at about 30,000 miles, right before I sold my 08 and it wasn't to bad at that point.
If your not afraid to do some work on your bike get these video's

http://www.angelridevideos.com/testimonials.htm

They will lead you through everything you will ever have to do on your wing

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah guys I usually do my regular maintanence but I've been on a roll lately with work and when i get spare time i want to go play and not tinker. Guess I'm getting lazy. I could certainly (and usually do) change my oil, oil filter, final drive oil. As you say seems a bit too soon for air filter. The bike is less than 2 yrs old so brake and clutch fliuids?? OK Thanks for helping me talk myself out of this

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Yeah guys I usually do my regular maintanence but I've been on a roll lately with work and when i get spare time i want to go play and not tinker. Guess I'm getting lazy. I could certainly (and usually do) change my oil, oil filter, final drive oil. As you say seems a bit too soon for air filter. The bike is less than 2 yrs old so brake and clutch fliuids?? OK Thanks for helping me talk myself out of this
your welcome, my pleasure. next spring i'm changing all filters and flush the brake and clutch fluids. i'll be flushing brake fluid an d replacing brake pads on the 1200 wing in the next few days to have it ready for the hoon hoot

·
Registered
718 Posts
Glad I do all my own work! Dealer wouldn't even think about doing timing belts on my 93. You know, that 10 year rule. Goldwing are not that hard to work on if needed. It was bad enough for me to shell out $24.48 for a gallon of Honda GN-4 oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts