Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '84 1200 wing which runs well other than when pulling away there seems to be a sort of slip. It's like the transmission is catching up to the engine. It's not a normal clutch type slip, more of delay then a slight clunk. It is fine when changing gear. The drive shaft and unit have been replaced and are fine. Any help appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'd still investigate the clutch. Wings have a multi-plate wet clutch just like most other bikes (some have an automotive type 'dry' clutch, eg. some BMW's) and the plates rely on friction to do their work. If there has been friction reducing oil used in the bikes' past, I'd bet money it's the clutch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It slips the same amount each time, sort of a 'slip.....clunk' then it's ok. It never seems to slip on changing gear or under load and you can't stop it happening by slipping the clutch more, that just delays it. The nearest thing I have felt similar was a faulty cush drive. I was thinking it could be the sprung damper shaft or even the swing arm bearings. I may have to get it on a roller.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
You may have a leak in the hydraulic clutch system or the slave cylinder may be leaking. Or like Budoka stated about friction reducers in the oil damaging the plates.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi twolf, sounds like the old bent shift fork problem to me. the shift fork bends than the trans gears do not fully engage. at that point the gears wear a rounded edge on a squared edge an start to slip out of gear causing that clunk when they finally engage. unfortunately that requires a motor pull an trans teardown to fix. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts