Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well....coming back from a 100 mile ride yesterday I noticed my add on voltmeter was not running in the green on my 84 1200 with 33000 miles on it. When I installed it last year, 28000 miles...it was almost always in the green...then this summer it seamed to get less and less and then yesterday stopped entirely. When I went to start bike after gassing up it almost didn't start. I pulled side cover off to feel wires which are hard wired they were cold. I will do volt check today on wires and just maybe it could be regulator, but I doubt it. I have a gear head son in law and a car lift in my shop that I can build a platform for to DIY, and have looked at video of engine removal and stator replacement so think I will DIY. What kind of replacement stator do I want to look for and other than case gasket any other recomendations? Bike is a one owner that has been well kept and I plan on keeping it. Any links for parts would be helpfull. I would like to stay away from local honda shop if I can, but that's not written in stone thanks

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
There is an add on alternator you can get of the 1200, Some body on here should know more about it. I understand you can add it with out removing the engine.
Sorry I can help more.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
its called a poorboy alternator kit, i am looking into getting one for my 1200 wing

·
Registered
75 Posts
d dub ya....Google search "Poorboy alt conversion" or go to www.goldwingfacts.com to the "technical forum" and start reading. I put an alternator on my 84 aspy in May of this year. I went to San Marcos Texas in June and just got home from West Virginia lastnight.I have put around 8000 miles on the bike and it has been absoltelty FLAWLESS!!! I have NOT even had to tighten the serpentine belt or NOTHING.If you have the means to cut and weld,you will be very glad you made the switch,i promise you.There are several guys on that thread that are more than willing to help you along.My conversion starts on page 8 and shows step by step how i done it.I'm here to tell you.....It is ALSO faster and easier to than pulling the engine.My stator lasted for five years and i took care of the problem this time.Your bike will spin over fast and you can run all the lights you want to,and if it ever quits....you can fix it on the road.It's a no-brainer bud.Catch me HERE or over on the other forum,i will help you.Go check-out my converion and updates,and start asking ????'s

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
hey buck i got a reply from don about the kit but i have a question maybe you can answer. is there any additional wireing to run for the alternator conversion

·
Registered
75 Posts
hey buck i got a reply from don about the kit but i have a question maybe you can answer. is there any additional wireing to run for the alternator conversion

Some people leave their old stator in place and able to hook back up,i don't.I unplugged the rectifier and gave it away.I cut the three wire going to the stator and wrapped then together with tape.

Now,the new wiring....
Very simple!
Run an 8 guage wire from the back of the alt (stud with nut) to a 50amp breaker and from the breaker to the hot side of the starter relay.That's the little round box below your battery that holds the main flat bar fuse.I went to the side terminal toward the rear of the bike.
Now....a wire from the spade clip terminal on the alt to a switched wire anywhere.This is to "excite" the alt so you don't have to rev it for it to start charging.I found a switched wire coming out of the fuse box under the glove compartment. Then if you want a gauge,just go-in and come-out of any wire that is hot while the bike is turned on. That's it,you're done.
SHRINK TUBE WRAP EVERY WIRE CONNECTION AND HEAT WITH HEAT GUN OR HAIR DRYER.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DW i wish you could/would sign-up at the other place,then you can see all the pictures all of us posted.It will help you a bunch.I even got pics of the brackets i made.Don has a kit,another dude is selling billet pullies too for the crank.

I also have a car lift in my shop.The swing away arms go right under the crashbars on the bike to pick it up,no need to make anything special to get it to eye level.Got pics showing that too....

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Great posts Buck, the 1200 owners should be pleased.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts