Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a Wing as my wife has decided she would like to ride with me. I'd like to pick up a 1200 or 1500 but don't know much about either bike. I ride a 1998 Magna now and love it, but not the bike for two up riding. Any pros, cons, problems etc. would be helpful. Also wondering how many comforts the 1500 might have over the 1200. and what's the difference is between the Aspencade and Interstate version.

Thanks for any advice, opinions, or resources you recommend.

gravelpounder

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info. I'll do need to do some research about both bikes. I just didn't know where to start.

gravelbounder

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another rider from the Keystone state. The 1500 would get my vote. It was in production for 13 years and was/is a very dependable bike. The engines have been known to go well over 200k with only regular maint. There are a lot of them out there for sale along with the 1200. Parts availability could become an issue with the 1200. Whatever you get I'm sure it will serve you well.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Both bikes are worthy. The 1500 gets my vote since they are longer in production and have better power and handling, along with better parts availability (like has been mentioned already). The 1200's had stator issues (but fixable) and the 1500 had a bit of weakness in the alternator (also fixable). I'd still go for the 1500 though (not that I'd part with my 1800:D)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am in the market for a Wing as my wife has decided she would like to ride with me. I'd like to pick up a 1200 or 1500 but don't know much about either bike. I ride a 1998 Magna now and love it, but not the bike for two up riding. Any pros, cons, problems etc. would be helpful. Also wondering how many comforts the 1500 might have over the 1200. and what's the difference is between the Aspencade and Interstate version.

Thanks for any advice, opinions, or resources you recommend.

gravelpounder
Welcome friend!!!
Smart man, doing your research first!!!!
Be careful of the stator on the 1200 rides, make sure the wiring problems associated with the stator has been corrected, up to and including replacing the stator.
The 1500 offers a car type gear driven alternator which made more sense from the get go.
The 1500 to me seems to offer a little more power and smoothness at the expense of mpg. The saddle bag lids are more user friendly as is some of the rider controls.
I purchase a new 1992 Interstate for $7600.00 and love every minute of the 57000 miles I rode it. Would certainly repeat the purchase again.
The most inportant difference between the Aspy and the Interstate to some seems to be the reverse option, I'm kind of long legged so I never really needed the reverse to start with. Other options were cruise control, tape player and user friendly air ride, chrome rotor covers, rear floor boards adjustable windshield, chome windshield garnish, ect. All and all the difference in the cost was about $2500.00.
The Interstate prove to out perform the Aspy on mpg, guess it was because of the added weight of all the so-called goodies .
By the way, the Interstate offered a plug in the left box to connect your cassette player. This would now be a great option since the cassette player is worthless. One should be able to connect your MP3, Ipod, ect.
my two cents, hope some of it makes sense. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1200 or 1500

Thanks for the input guys. Good food for thought. I hadn’t considered the parts availability issue. Did read that history of the GW it had some good info. I am leaning toward the 1500 but there is a 1200 I have seen that has just under 40k miles on it. The guy says it is in “Mint” condition. Has owned it since 86. He is asking $5000... that seems a little high but I guess if it really was mint it would be something to consider. Thanks again

Dan

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would say due to the lack of available parts for the 1200s I would opt now for the 1500 even if it was more money!!! Just a humble scooter trash dudes opinion!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Good food for thought. I hadn’t considered the parts availability issue. Did read that history of the GW it had some good info. I am leaning toward the 1500 but there is a 1200 I have seen that has just under 40k miles on it. The guy says it is in “Mint” condition. Has owned it since 86. He is asking $5000... that seems a little high but I guess if it really was mint it would be something to consider. Thanks again

Dan
Dan,
PM SENT

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
gravelpounder,
Welcome to the forum.
Personally I feel the price is too high and if you keep searching you can find a decent 1500 for the same amount.
Below is from the NADA Guides website.
GL1200A http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1986/Honda/GL1200A-GOLDWING-ASPENCADE/Values
GL1200I http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1986/Honda/GL1200I-GOLDWING-INTERSTATE/Values
Check for yourself.
For even more history on the Wing go to www.goldwingworld.com
The difference between the Aspencade and Interstate is the 'Packages'. The Aspencade having all the bells and whistles and the Interstate a plain touring Wing that's dressed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trike lady you are right on...that little voice in the back of my head said...$5000 for a 26 year old 1200?...although it only has 33K miles...still I did some craigs list searches and for another $1000 bucks I could get a 1500 6 years newer. I also saw a 1200 for $2500 but it needs a stator, not sure what that would cost...Thanks for the links I'll check them. Everyone that has responded thanks...the only down side to all this help is it get the Wing fever up.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

I bought an 94 Interstate with 31,000 miles for $3500 this past fall. I was looking at both, but found this one. Take your time.....and shop to find the right deal.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
gravelpounder, which ever wing you decide to get get the most bang for your buck

·
Registered
67 Posts
gravelpounder, as others have stated, both the 1200 and 1500 are fine machines.

I have an '85 GL1200I that I paid $1000.00 for, but it needed a stator, which is around $1200.00 installed at the dealer (I did the Poorboy alternator conversion instead).

I also just picked up a '95 Gl1500 for $2500.00, so I would agree with others that $5000.00 is way too much for a 'mint' condition GL1200.

If I were you, I would lean more towards the Gl1500 for the added power for two-up riding, better handling and greater parts availability.

Use the searchtempest website to search all of the Craigslist sites in your general area and I'm sure you'll find a great deal on a Gl1500.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
First Welcome to the forum, good information and Good people hang out here.
As to which bike it's all been well covered above. I'd go for the 1500. I bought my 93 Aspencade new in Aug. of 93, when I put her to bed this winter she had 170,000 + miles on.
Again Welcome to the forum.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
They are both fine machines. I own a GL1200 and one of my friends has a GL1500. He complains about the fuel economy on his, but it is only about 5 mpg less than mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
everybody thanks for all the help. The prices must be inflated here in the Houston, Texas area. While I have seen some ok machines they seem go for more down here. Again thanks for the help. I'm gunna take my time on this buy...I kind of got in a hurry with my Magna purchase...probably should have looked more just to see what was out there. I hadn't owned a bike in 25 years. That was a 1975 750 Honda...it was such a great bike for the time I just went looking for another and ended up with the Magna, it had 6000 miles on it...the original tires! I love it but not for 2up riding. Anyway thanks again. Trike lady I will take a look at those bikes you listed.

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
When i went looking ,i didnt give the 12 much thought as they are older and few on the roads over here in Ireland , was lucky that someone wanted my old BMW Outfit and i made money ,so got this 91 from aguy moving up the years , he kept is custom paint job , so i have a 91 bike with 96 plastics , now just spending money in chrome bits . Roads over here are not really that good ,but its loads of fun and great for 2up , fitted Autocom unit as the intercom was not the best , now we have great sound and mp3 player straight from autcom , But thats just my experience . Hope you get sorted .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts