Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the stats:
Weight...................728 lbs
Fuel cap.................5.8
Fuel mileage...........48 USA MPG
Load Carrying..........170 Ltrs.

So in 1984 they built a Touring bike with an in built air compressor which allow an easy adjustment to the suspension
Handling was revolutionized with smaller diameter wheels to help reduce steering resistance.
In a lot of ways they built a touring bike that performed like a sports bike, but it was alway's a touring bike. You could always say that it would attract the younger rider.

Now lets move ahead to 2018 and what do we get.
Weight......................787 lbs.
Fuel cap...................5.55
Fuel mileage.............42 USA MPG
Load Carrying............110 Ltrs.

So in 2018 you get a sports Tourer. You get a lighter engine, a lighter bike. The suspension is totally new. You could get the all new trans. But it is still a sports tourer.

With the 1200 you get things like little pockets for your lady to put her glasses or make up or lip balm. You also have 170 ltrs to go touring with. A bike that has room to go away for weeks at a time and it is carried on the bike not in a trailer. You can beat around the bush all you like but the fact is that a 1200 was made as a tourer and not a sports tourer.
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG
IMG_5318.JPG

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Well mate...........I will give you kudos upon your presentation of facts.

Like many things the times, and the riders change. Honda obviously tried (in an Ole Fossil's opinion) their best to bridge the gap for both attracting the new market, while retaining the current market. I believe them to be successful. Remember mate, we have shared the road together, and I have seen you strap things on racks, hang items, even tuck items in crevices so no bike, not even your trusty 1200 or Jaws has all the room you need.;)

I know the style does not suit your taste but I will play that devil on your shoulder right now. Before you write off the new machine......Psssst...Go Ride One.:giggle:

Reactions: dsurley

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that the latest 1800 will be a more powerful, better handling and with lots of nice modern comforts. But by riding one will it suddenly get 170 ltrs carrying capacity. If that was the case I would already have one. But because the new Goldwing was not what I wanted, I now have a 1500 and a Suzuki. Honda don't change their models very often so that will be it for me now.
Come on now Bill..............................when you see the Facts. Was that not a surprise at how close they were?

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
I would say mate, the basic motorcycle is only so big, and the parameters of design encompass a certain area so, no it doesn't shock me that they are so close, but then again if they are as close as you say all you need to do is do laundry a day earlier on a trip......:rolleyes:

You are the best Mate

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
The new model will certainly carry all the fuel my bladder can handle before I need to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok......................for the back story to bring up the Facts.

I was riding the 1200 from Wilmington to Pt. Noarlunga which is a 200 mile one way to see my Mum. Accommodation is not cheap, so I was going to ride down and see Mum and ride back before it got to Roo O'clock. So here I am riding along trying to keep the speed up so that I could fit everything in without mixing it the Roo's. I am looking down at my new smaller screen and think, (yes sometimes I do thinking while riding along) , that screen might be about the same size as the new 1800's. Which then got me thinking..............................the fuel capacity maybe about the same as the 1800. I knew that the new 1800's were more fuel efficient...................................and there is not much difference between the two bikes. (Both will go further than my bladder.)

So take away the improvement that 34 year will make in comforts and handling. There are a lot of area's where they are alike. The post was not to get anyone off side but to show how similar they are.

Two years ago when we went to see the new Goldwing..........................I wasn't impressed because of the carrying capacity and I had been waiting to get my (retirement gift) and this bike was not going to be it. As my mate has said, I am using every little nook to get what I want to carry when I have 170 ltrs. So there is noway am I even going to try it with 110 ltrs carrying capacity. That is my choice. I looked at other makes of bike's but in the end................................I wanted a Honda. That mean a Goldwing made before 2018. I am not swayed by the bells and whistles and from having had a 1500 in the USA and it was a great motorcycle. Why not get the best 1500 that I can find and try and wear it out.

We all know how the Goldwing can clock up big miles and I found one with just 50,000 miles on it. As far as I am concerned I have no chance of wearing out this 1500. I am doing my best to wear out the 1200 in the next 4-5 years and that will leave the 1500 for the retirement miles.

I am happy with the Goldwings that I have and I doubt that there will ever be another on in my shed. All of you guy's with those great new 1800's............................please enjoy them. :D
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5286 (1).JPG

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Mate, that was a touching backstory and I am almost shedding a tear for the passion you hold in your heart. 🤠

Of course I jest, and there is no right or wrong except for the individual person it affects.

So summing it up the best I can....My Mate Eric is a 1500 Guy! 🥳

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an 85 LTD and question your 48 mpg. We are running at different speeds. My 2018 kills the LTD on gas mileage. I would be happy with 38 on the LTD. Wholeheartedly agree on the extra storage AND the LTD provides a platform for my hoarded cassette tapes. The 1200 is a great bike!

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 85 LTD and question your 48 mpg. We are running at different speeds. My 2018 kills the LTD on gas mileage. I would be happy with 38 on the LTD. Wholeheartedly agree on the extra storage AND the LTD provides a platform for my hoarded cassette tapes. The 1200 is a great bike!
I don't blame you for questioning the 48 MPG. There was a time where I was getting 39 MPG and there were other GWOF members saying that they were getting 48 MPG. So how does the same bike now get up to 48 MPG.
I could not get 1200 coils and I ended up replacing them with 1500 coils. I was riding in NSW and something black fell off the back of a roadtrain and I swerved but it still hit the air scoop. It broke it in half. So I took both air scoops off.
I fitted a new small screen which catches less wind and now I can get 48 MPG. But if I am riding my 1200 up and down the hills I get about 45.6 MPG.
I use my bike to go to work. We go away for 3 days at a time and need to carry all of our food, clothing, and bedding (sleeping bag and pillow). There is no way could you do this on the latest Goldwing. So what could I leave home.......................my food, my bedding, my change of clothes (one set of clothing). The subject of the carrying capacity on the new 1800's is not liked on the forums. The one thing where the new 1800's do not shine. The rest of the bike is brilliant. But for some people like me.......................... the carrying capacity is a deal breaker.
I am happy for all of the happy new owners of the latest 1800's, but I will go down being a 1500 rider now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If cargo capacity is the only thing that matters we would all be driving a truck on these trips. However, we all ride motorcycles because we enjoy the ride. The 2018s+ are not going to please everyone. All I can say is that I stopped at the dealer just for a test ride and had to have one. They are really fun to ride and have plenty of cargo space for me to carry my tools, rain suit and enough clothes and shoes for a long trip. Do yourself a favor, take one for a test ride. Nobody says that you have to buy one. Just don’t knock it before you try it. 😁

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If cargo capacity is the only thing that matters we would all be driving a truck on these trips. However, we all ride motorcycles because we enjoy the ride. The 2018s+ are not going to please everyone. All I can say is that I stopped at the dealer just for a test ride and had to have one. They are really fun to ride and have plenty of cargo space for me to carry my tools, rain suit and enough clothes and shoes for a long trip. Do yourself a favor, take one for a test ride. Nobody says that you have to buy one. Just don’t knock it before you try it. 😁
If I may pull apart your post in sections to respond to the different things here.

Cargo Capacity: I have a car (truck) that will carry a lot of cargo and I have the choice to take a car for those time. But when I take the car, there was no intention of using a motorcycle.

We ride motorcycles because we enjoy the ride:. (I agree) The new 1800 is not going to please everyone. (I agree, because it doesn't please me)

The 2018+ are great bike's and I am happy that you love yours. But I don't need to ride one to know that it only has 110 Ltrs. cargo space and at the end of that test ride it will still have 110 Ltrs. cargo space. I am not knocking the bike but pointing out the cargo space is not enough for me.

Here is a photo of my 1200 coming home from a trip away on the train. It can carry everything I need to go work for 3 days. The 1800 will not do that.
IMG_5308 (1).JPG

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Problem Solver USA Mate at your service, @Eric

;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look, I love it that you enjoy your 1200 and I hope it gives you get many more miles and future trips on it. The point I am making is that even though 110 Ltrs lacks what previous Wings have, there is still plenty of space to pack for trips in the 2018+. By the way, what year is your 1200? It is a nice looking bike.

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look, I love it that you enjoy your 1200 and I hope it gives you get many more miles and future trips on it. The point I am making is that even though 110 Ltrs lacks what previous Wings have, there is still plenty of space to pack for trips in the 2018+. By the way, what year is your 1200? It is a nice looking bike.
My 1200 is a 1984 with 150,000 mile on it. It has now become my "one up" bike. The 1500 is now our "two up" bike.
There would be a lot of people that would be surprised to know that the 1200 is running better at 150,000 miles than it was at 50,000 miles. It will have no problem in getting to 200,000 miles.

Ride and enjoy that 1800. I am sure that in everyway except cargo space, it is a better bike than my 1200 and 1500. But I will not have one while I am riding two up.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
You are right to the point................................that a 1500 is the problem solver. The same cargo space as the 1200, better power and more comfort. A good thing that I went out and brought a low mileage 1500 wasn't it Bill. View attachment 273893
Good one Mate!

;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts