Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it's been a while since i'v been on here !! Sorry! but i have developed a clanking noise coming from the motor end of the shaft drive. i haven't been into that section yet bet looks like i soon will. just wanted to get some insight before i disassemble. what am i looking at?? is there a u-joint in there? looks to me i remove the rear wheel then what pull the whole final drive unit out? any special tools required? figured i would pick the brains of those who have been there.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Hi AF, good to hear from you again!

What you describe is exactly what you think it is, and you know how to do it already. You could peel back the rubber boot to test the U-joint for play before removing the wheel, but I'm pretty sure your diagnosis is on the nose.

I have to do the same thing over the winter as part of the "deeper" work I should have done on my GL1200 this spring, but instead chose to get him on the road and maintain later.:eek::eek::D

·
Registered
334 Posts
As Tatanka said if you hearing a clunking noise coming from underneath you then it is probably your u-joint. As stated peel back the rubber boot just under the false tank and try to turn your rear wheel. If you hear it grinding or clunking then its the u-joint. If your hearing it mor to the rear then is your final drive and you will need to dig a little deeper. Good luck Hal

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice i just wanted another opinion. and idea of what i'm in for. sounds like a simple fix. hope i can get to it this week. we got more 90* weather on it's way next week. it's a late summer here in Nor-Cal. haven't seen no rain at all yet. not ready to put the counselor to rest just yet.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
If it is the u-joint (Honda lists it as a 'yoke') it's part # 40200-MG9-000 and retails for $188 up here but they show as discontinued. You'll have to check with hdlparts.com or such or usedgoldwingparts.com etc.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Budoka-san,

My Clymer manual says the U-joint must be replaced, not serviced, so guess you're right. Shame. I figured circlips retaining a "+" shaped piece with bearings in the stubs. Oh well, guess I'll be shopping for a good used one over the winter.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Good update tl, Honda has a shorter availability lifespan than some others do obviously

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
discontinued is unacceptable, thanks for links TL, I was figuring a standard U-joint maybe $50 should have known it would be $150. looks like its on hold till payday.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Good update tl, Honda has a shorter availability lifespan than some others do obviously
I plugged in the part# at hondapartsnation.com and it gave me the new number and then I ran a search with the new number and it brought me to these sites where it didn't list the part as discontinued.
Hopefully somewhere on a dusty forgotten shelf sits one of these U-joints.
Good luck in the search.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So was waiting on $ then put my back out moving a generator smart huh? finally got moving again (ain't Vicodin great). So anyway I got started pulling it apart only took a couple hours to get this far. I'm gettin way to much practice at pulling this rear wheel. only bad thing is the bolt that holds the lower shock on L/H side 14mm special shouldered one is rounding off. Looks like i can weld a larger nut on and should work fine. Ready to drop the swing arm looks like it should clear the pipes, but then i found these funky nuts and not sure how it comes apart. As i don't have a spanner wrench or that special socket. anyone been here??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
The second one uses an allen wrench.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it's just a nut on the right side and a allen on the left?? No special tools ? that was easy!! Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
My Clymer manual says:
"Use the special tool, swing arm pivot locknut wrench (Honda part No. KS-HBA-08-469) and loosen the left-hand pivot bolt locknut.
Use a 10mm Allen wrench and remove the right-hand and left-hand pivot bolts."

And, there is likely a workaround.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
we maybe i'll see if my local shop would rent me the tool. getting older and wiser i guess before i would have grabbed a hammer and chisel and went at it!!

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
we maybe i'll see if my local shop would rent me the tool. getting older and wiser i guess before i would have grabbed a hammer and chisel and went at it!!
Exactly. I haven't pulled my swingarm caps yet, but from your picture it looks like a hammer and oak dowel could push the tangs around just like is done with the fuel level sensor in the top of the fuel tank, which in the manual also calls for a "special" tool, a simple spanner. That's if the Allen wrench alone doesn't cut it. The other side looks like a simple right size metric socket will get it off (probably Lok-tited) to access the other Allen head pivot bolt. Good luck!

Older and wiser? Interesting concept!:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I call my local shop. No they won't rent/lend tools, honda wants $115.oo for it. Looks like i get to make one, won't be the first tool i'v had to make

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So took about a hour with a 1 1/16 X 1/2 drive taiwan socket a die grinder with cut off wheel a set of calipers and two beers. It's a part and waiting on parts they are on the way. U-joint had a little play not to bad but on its way out. thanks for the info guys :D

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
So took about a hour with a 1 1/16 X 1/2 drive taiwan socket a die grinder with cut off wheel a set of calipers and two beers. It's a part and waiting on parts they are on the way. U-joint had a little play not to bad but on its way out. thanks for the info guys :D
What parts? You didn't have to cut anything to get the pivot bolts out, did you?:eek: I'm asking because I'll be doing this same procedure soon.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It sounds like he used the die grinder to make his own tool out of the soft Taiwanese socket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.