Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 Gl 1200 interstate is having a clutch issue. It only reads 53,000 miles I have flushed & changed fluid but when I am shifting hard it slips!! I can't make it slip once engaged, but it's like when shifting it's releasing fast enough. So is their a adjustment?? Or anyone got a idea what can be done?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far it's hanging in there, but i got into it today and let me no it's still not right. So i guess we will see if it makes it the season. I can do a tear down in the rainy months. how hard of a job is the clutch replacement? does the motor have to come out or can it be done in frame?? any special tool needed? Is this a wet or dry clutch? guess i'm gonna have to get a manual for the 1200, i got one somewhere for the 1100, just got to find it

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
Well, like Indiana Jones said, "It ain't the years, it's the mileage!" In the case of our Classic Wings, it's the Nature of that mileage. What you describe sounds like a worn clutch pack, set of clutch disks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea that's kinda what i thought. just wanted a second opinion. that sux!!! Don't want to do a mid season tear down. she is good till i really twist it. no GW wheelies for now.

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
Yeah, the good thing about fading clutches is you can adjust your riding to nurse them along until you feel like messing with it. And, I really want to hear knelson1969's input on this. I'm not aware of any external adjustments that will make a clutch "grab" better, but perhaps he or another of the mechanical whiz kids do.

Of course, if and when you do this, you'll have to get used to the new friction point and amount of grab before you ride it with power. It'll be quite different, especially the grab.:eek::)

·
Super Moderator
11,938 Posts
I had a bike that did the same thing. I rode it somewhere around 10,000 miles that way. I think what was causing it was the slave cylinder sticking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts