Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I`m having a serious problem guys HELP!! I just went from Rotella 15/40 to 5/40syn. I noticed a slight increase in my idol so I tried to adjust it. What I did was not adjust my idol, but turned the screw on the back right carburator. I didnt realize mistake untill it was to late. It`s my fault cause Ive never messed with the carbs before. I always had the local shop take care of these issue. Now it idols bad and I dont know which way to turn the screw now to fix it. Pls help I`ve been out of work since march of last year so money is soo tight. I installed a home made glass pack exhaust as my mufflers and header pipes were rotten. I getting right around 39.56 mpg on 285mile trip yesterday.When I got back that`s when I noticed the idol problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Im sorry you are having a problem. I'm not a wrench guy, but I assume you forgot which way you turned the screw the first time. My suggestion would be to start the bike and slowly turn the screw in either direction and see which makes a difference in the idle. If turning one way makes the idle worst, then turn back the other way and see if it makes it better. You should be able to tell by the engine which way is the correct direction. JMO, good luck. Maybe someone can chime in here with more help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't have a 1200, but that looks like the carb balance adjust screw between the left and right banks of carbs. Firstly you will not do much harm if it is not set correctly, it will make the idle much rougher!! The only way to correctly adjust it is with a set of carb balance gauges. As suggested the easiest way to get something close to correct is to get the engien good and warm then let the bike idle and adjust the screw in and out until you have the smoothest idle. This will get you close to the correct setting. I want to stress that this will do no real harm to the engine so don't stop riding the bike, it just makes the idle lumpy and the engine won't be as smooth as normal but you would be very unlucky to do any damage to the engine. If you know someone with a set of balance gauges, it's a 10 minute job to connect them and adjust the carbs.
Where abouts are you located? I am in Austin, Texas and would be happy to do this adjustement for you if you can get the bike to me..

Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts