Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1976 GL1000 with only 16,900 miles. It looks great. It had a lot of maintenance done (including timing belts, tires & all fluids) 3000 miles ago but that was in 1998.
The tires look fantastic (no sidewall cracks) with only 3000 miles on them (Bridgestones) but are 12 years old. The bike was always garaged. Are they safe to run or should I replace them?
Thanks, Rennie.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
the tires may not be cracked but i would still replace them. the rubber is problly hard so it would be like riding on a banana skin

·
Registered
143 Posts
Look between the tread and at the base of the tread for cracks. Replace and be safe, it is the only thing between you and the road.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
In the whole scope of things the price of a new set of tires is rather trivial. Is'nt your life (or someone elses) worth the price of new tires ? Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I've heard it said, but I can't prove it that tires have a "shelf life" of about 6 years. Even if they are not used after 6 years the rubber compounds begin to break down. Now that sounds strange given the fact of how long tires last in a landfill, but like Matt said. For peace of mind and safety I would replace them

·
Registered
201 Posts
No Question about it Replace them Rennie. The rubber won't have the elastisity it should have to deal with load,heat,cold,and bumps.Here's an example,last year I bought and restored an 18 ft.Bayliner boat that had sat for at least 7 to 8 years on its trailer. The tires on the trailer looked new and they still had the telltale new rubber "hair" I call it which you see on new tires.First trip out normal speeds did'nt exceed 55 MPH the right tire blew out on the highway, I put on the new spare I had bought then bought a another new spare later on.Second trip out the other tire blew out,put the second new spare on and the bought another new spare, now with 2 new tires and a new spare I feel safe after learning not to trust new looking tires that are old,especially on a MC.

-Robert-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Ya, I'll replace the tires before I insure it. Now, if I only knew what that bad rattle is (over 2500 rpm) inside the left cylinder head. Starts good & idles fine but I'm afraid to start it...

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is a hint to everyone with Highway pegs on their wings that clamp on the front crash bars,put some silicone on the bolt that holds the highway peg onto its crash bar clamp, the Highway pegs rattle and are loose fitting on the bolts.Rennie's remark about locating a rattle reminded me of the highway pegs although this has likely nothing to do with" his" rattle.Both my wings and my sons wings highway pegs did this until we Siliconed them, annoying.

-Robert-

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
12 year old tire should be replaced,

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a freind that bought a 1985 Goldwing that had been sitting up.The tires looked good and he started riding it with those tire still on the bike.Him and his wife and 4 other bikes; went on a weekend ride trip that was about 400 miles to the first night's motel stay. They got about 200 miles and he noticed the rubber was pealing off the tire.It was good that he noticed he had problem as they were riding at 75 to 80 miles per hour.They got a tow to the local Honda shop and $600 and 6 hours later;they were back on the road again.This story could have been tragic without a lot of luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts