Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new 2007, 1800 Goldwing owner, does this bike have a 12 volt power outlet from the factory to charge my phone or i-Pod I can not find one, or is this something I have to add?
Also to those who have added after market exhaust slip ons, I have been looking at the Cobras, did you have to add a power commander.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Don't know about the slip on's, but the 12v outlet is an add on. I have mine in the left front pocket. There is spot to drill out marked on the pocket and a connector right behind the pocket.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your new Wing. Where do you call home??

·
Registered
232 Posts
I did the same thing that 2 wheel did, put one in the left pocket of my '10 Wing. I added this one I also added one in the trunk... it's in the lid - it's this one. Both locations are plug and play - made especially for a plug. The one in the trunk stays live when the motor is off... so be aware of that.

And welcome; I am new here also.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Welcome and my 07 came with a 12v power outlet in the left front faring pocket.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I sorta did what LakeCharles did except the one in the trunk I ran straight to the battery and wired a 15A fuse to the hot wire instead of just pluging and playing like I did with the one in the left pocket. This way I can use it to run an air compressor. If you mount them and plug them into the bike's built-in connector you run the risk of frying the circuit if you plug in anything that requires a lot of juice. And there are other things on the circuit besides the outlet. Also I got 2 outlets that were made to plug and play in the 1800 for about $20 from Wingstuff; less than the dealer wanted for only one. They have the little water tight cap that pops over them when not in use just like the OEM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've recently got an 07. It has 2 power sockets. One in right side panel and one in boot but normal 12v plugs are too big to fit. Any ideas what I need. Sorry to hijack the thread.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland , the crew just installed one in my left pocket also , took like 5 minutes

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I've recently got an 07. It has 2 power sockets. One in right side panel and one in boot but normal 12v plugs are too big to fit. Any ideas what I need. Sorry to hijack the thread.
Welcome to the forum. If you can post some photos of the sockets (may need to reduce the resolution), it will help us to answer your question.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts

Exactly what is the right side panel? The stock 2007 Goldwing came with a power outlet plug-in wire connector in the left front pocket. No outlet just a plug-in connector.

·
Premium Member
5,507 Posts
I added on my 06 one in the left fairing pocket and two in the trunk. Wired to a totally separate fuse block by the battery that I added.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sometimes that pigtail can be tricky to find inside that rubber boot but it's there. The hole saw is a particular size that isn't real common around here but I improvised with my rotary tool.
The exhaust change requires no Power Commander or other device which is a good thing, there isn't one for the GL1800. I will caution you that the connector area heat shields (chrome elbow type covers) can be finicky to put back on as can the lower cowl panels. Be patient and prepare to walk away a few times in the process, I sure had to and I was working on a hydraulic lift bench when I changed out my pipes.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
this is the one on my right side panel.
same as one in my boot.
Very unique and it looks proprietary to a particular devise. There is no factory wired power connection on that side of the Wing. Time to remove that panel and see what's under there.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ditto on what Lee said. Install looks nice and clean from the outside, but what it's tied into is what needs to be discovered.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
As an afterthought, I'm not sure I would want a power outlet there anyway. Capped off it looks pretty weatherproof, but riding down the road in a rainstorm with an adapter plugs into it , it does not look too weatherproof to me .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.