Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 4K mi on 12 GW loaded except Airbag. Have gotten slight handlebar wobble and also tire "hop" Anyone else experience similar situation and what did you do. Have stock tires.:)
Additional information is:
The wobble is there all the time, however is less severe at higher speeds. It is not severe at low or high speeds, just a nuisance. I will have dealer check balance and also tire for proper seating on the rim and being round.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
There's been alot of talk about front end woes on the1800's Lots of riders will tell you they will shake their head if you let go of the bars below 45mph. My '09 I don't know about because I've got both hands on the bars 99% of thetime, and I've never felt the need to experiment with my hands off while slowing down just to see if it would. Now the wheel hop sounds like a totally different kettle of fish and likely means that there is something seriously wrong in the blanace of the front wheel, or the tire is out of round or something. Does it do it all the time? Only at a certain speed or on a specific type of road surface? Need a bit more info so more peeps can chime in on this. I'm leaning to balance and tire combination but can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
racer: I've had the handlebar " wobble" since I bought my bike in Nov. 09 and have been through one complete set of motorcycle tires since then with the wobble. I'm now running a C/T on the rear ( almost 5,000 miles ) and a Bridgestone 709 on the front( both with Dyna-beads ). Just tested the hands off the bars today. No wobble. Hmm........... Is it the rear tire or the front causing this ? For me, I'm betting on the rear tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would lean towards improper tire pressure and possibly bad tire balancing, or bad tire. I would think anything causing a tire to "hop" would be visible to the eye and touch. I bought my own changer and balancer in search of a cure for the dreaded wobble. My 12 had a very slight decel wobble out the dealer door, first thing I did was get it home and pull the wheels off and balanced them, the wobble was almost gone at this point. The only way to get it better is to dismount and find heavy side of wheel and position heavy side of tire opposit, then balance and test ride. tire pressure is very important for proper ride,handling and wear.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I have tried the centramatics with new tires and without any wheel balancing done and the bike had bad vibrations and we took it right back in and balanced both tires and left the centramatics on and it was perfect, I balanced the back tire without centramatics on but the front was bolted on so I balanced it with them on.
I've read a lot of good comments about both products on other forums and just thought it might be a solution. I would do as you did and have the wheels balanced anyway..

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
racer: I've had the handlebar " wobble" since I bought my bike in Nov. 09 and have been through one complete set of motorcycle tires since then with the wobble. I'm now running a C/T on the rear ( almost 5,000 miles ) and a Bridgestone 709 on the front( both with Dyna-beads ). Just tested the hands off the bars today. No wobble. Hmm........... Is it the rear tire or the front causing this ? For me, I'm betting on the rear tire.
Lee,

Not trying to burst your bubble....but the wobble will come back after the tires wear a bit longer. Every time I put new skins on the Wing, the wobble goes away...After 6 or 7,000 miles or so, it starts to come back. It is significantly better however with a CT on the rear!

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,
I visited dealer today and they found
1. tire slightly out of round, Honda will not cover
2. steering slightly loose. Not an item checked on the 4K service. takes 1.5 hours labor to adjust. Honda suggests I get it serviced with 4K service. That was done and dealer said it was not an item they check in 4K service. They suggested I bring it in for next service and they will do it then.
WHAT A CROCK...

I am taking bike to another dealer and get a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Lee,

Not trying to burst your bubble....but the wobble will come back after the tires wear a bit longer. Every time I put new skins on the Wing, the wobble goes away...After 6 or 7,000 miles or so, it starts to come back. It is significantly better however with a CT on the rear!

Mark
I'm pretty sure it's just a temporary state of bliss also. But it's the first temporary state I have had on the Wing. I'm finding it hard to keep my hands on the grips right now.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just a temporary state of bliss also. But it's the first temporary state I have had on the Wing. I'm finding it hard to keep my hands on the grips right now.
I know exactly what you mean!

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Well,
I visited dealer today and they found
1. tire slightly out of round, Honda will not cover
2. steering slightly loose. Not an item checked on the 4K service. takes 1.5 hours labor to adjust. Honda suggests I get it serviced with 4K service. That was done and dealer said it was not an item they check in 4K service. They suggested I bring it in for next service and they will do it then.
WHAT A CROCK...

I am taking bike to another dealer and get a second opinion.
Racerjack,

It sounds to me like the dealer did not do the Dealer Prep on the motorcycle when you purchased it. I would remind them that, and also tell them that if they sell that brand of tire they have to warranty it! I would also tell them you are calling customer service @ Mother Honda to report this situation. It's a shame that some of these dealers are NOT about their customers, only about getting their $$! I would inform them that you would be posting the dealer name on the boards & let folks know of their poor service.

Best of luck,

Mark

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
The tire should be covered by the tire manufacturer, not by Honda. However, it should be your dealer going to bat for you on this, not leaving you on your own. If the steering head bearings are not torqued to spec that is likely not covered by the Honda warranty as it is a wear and tear thing. However, I'd ask your dealer if there is anything they can do to ease the bite a bit though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts