Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I have a 2007 Wing and just rode 6k miles my bike vacation out west from Michigan. As I rode the last few miles home, I noticed the rear end seemed a little loose.

When I arrive home, I checked the tire and the entire tread area is beginning to separate from the tire!

Anyone ever see this type of issue before?

I made an appointment to have the tire replaced this weekend. Obviously, the dealership has NEVER seen this before. I thought I would see if there was any objective observations out there, before I see the dealer.

Thanks,
Keith.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I will be dropping off my bike tomorrow for a new set of Elite 3's. The set I'm replacing went a little over 20,000 miles without a problem. It may be a defective tire. How new were they? I would like to hear what happened. Glad it happened close to home and not while you were away.

G

·
I will be dropping off my bike tomorrow for a new set of Elite 3's. The set I'm replacing went a little over 20,000 miles without a problem. It may be a defective tire. How new were they? I would like to hear what happened. Glad it happened close to home and not while you were away.
Mark, as you know Im new at the wing. I thought a regular rear tire on Wing last about 8-9000 Miles. I start considering changing my tires and the bike barely has 8000miles. Was I wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Gizmo...you're right on the money.....I have NEVER had a goldwing tire last more than 11,000 miles. Normal for me is around 9,600 miles.

Crownfire 20,000 miles on 1 set of tires??? That's technically a miracle! You must run on some straight & smooth roads! Are you sure you aren't having a "senior" (joking) moment & forgot that you changed a set 10,000 miles ago.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Gizmo...you're right on the money.....I have NEVER had a goldwing tire last more than 11,000 miles. Normal for me is around 9,600 miles.

Crownfire 20,000 miles on 1 set of tires??? That's technically a miracle! You must run on some straight & smooth roads! Are you sure you aren't having a "senior" (joking) moment & forgot that you changed a set 10,000 miles ago.

Mark
i have 11000 on mine now but they still seem in good condition

·
Registered
473 Posts
12,6 out of the original stones on the '12 wing, trying E3's this go around. 17K on a set of E3's when I had the 1500. Lots of factors that make or break mileage.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I got about 16K on my front tire....Rear tire was around 10K...Now I have a C/T on the rear and expect more

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I am very religious about checking my tire pressures. My first set went 14,000 and they were a Dunlop (420's I think) that were new with the bike. I put on the Elite 3's and a set of centramatic balancers and will put on my third set of tires tomorrow. No senior moment they really did go that far. The back tire still looks okay but if I'm riding up to PA next month I figured a new set all around was best. I ride all kinds of roads although we do not have twisties around here I did get around to 18 states around the southeast on this set. I'm amazed at the miles also. On my Yamaha my best has been 12,000 miles on a set and worst was 7000 miles.

Did I mention that I do not have a car tire on the back?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I am very religious about checking my tire pressures. My first set went 14,000 and they were a Dunlop (420's I think) that were new with the bike. I put on the Elite 3's and a set of centramatic balancers and will put on my third set of tires tomorrow. No senior moment they really did go that far. The back tire still looks okay but if I'm riding up to PA next month I figured a new set all around was best. I ride all kinds of roads although we do not have twisties around here I did get around to 18 states around the southeast on this set. I'm amazed at the miles also. On my Yamaha my best has been 12,000 miles on a set and worst was 7000 miles.

Did I mention that I do not have a car tire on the back?
im ordering mine also for the trip to PA

·
Registered
718 Posts
There are a lot of factors to a tire failure but the biggest are underinflation and road hazards. Overloading also factors in, but we never overload our Goldwings. I've got just over 12,000 miles on my Avons and have 50% tread left. I think I was getting about 15,000 miles on my E3s and lucky to get 8,000 on Metzlers though they stuck like glue. Throw that wing around like a crotch rocket on them.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
As far as the rear tire, I break it down into two components : Road Worthy and Comfort Worthy. On my previous two motorcycle tires the Road Worthy exceeded the Comfort Worthy. Once the howling set in around the 8 to 10 thousand mile range the quiet pleasure of the ride was over.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I also run a car tire on the rear. this is my second one. The first one lasted 12,000 miles....this one is at 12,000 miles & looking great. My last front tire was a stone & it lasted 11,000...it proabably could have gone to 14,000 but the wear bars were just starting to show. I do ride aggressively & on some of the worst roads around. I'm running an Elite 3 on the front now for the second time (Just because I couldn't get a 709 stone in a timely fashion)& it's a good tire but boy do they sing in the curves once you get some miles on them. As for tread seperation I have never seen an E3 do it. When this E3 wears out...I'll go back to the great handling & smoothness of the Bridgestone 709.

I guess I should have kept the sport bike for the twisty's......NOT.....LOL

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Well here are the pics of the tire, off the bike.

8906 miles according to the dealer.

Calling Dunlop tomorrow to see if they will replace the tire under warranty.

Any thoughts?
Looks like you crossed some spike road barriers. I have some thoughts on this but it isn't for everyone. The picture of the tire in my signature is my solution.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I've been running E-3 on my 93 since they came out, never had a problem. Been replacing them around 19,000 and throwing away a few thousand miles of rubber.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.