Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of looking for a SilverWing scooter for the wife one with ABS.I know nothing about them can anyone tell me if theres anything to look for or stay away from THANKS for any help

·
Super Moderator
10,055 Posts
And DanB has a Burgman. I believe they both like them very much and Larry just took a trip on one not too long ago.

·
Premium Member
7,506 Posts
I've never owned the Honda Silverwing but have had the Burgman 400 and 650. I rode a friend of mine's several weeks ago and will be riding one in the Cascades in a few weeks, a loaner from one our members here, Larry. Perhaps when he sees this thread he'll pipe in and share his views too. I know of a lady rider who did a 5000 mile trip on hers. I've got a buddy who probably weighs no less than 350 and he has no problems with his. Compared to the Burgman's he said the Silverwings are much easier to work on. As for weight the Silverwing is lighter than the Burgman 650 and is therefore easier for the ladies to manage. I've heard of no negative issues with the Silverwing as it is a bombproof, dependable Maxi Scooter.

·
Banned
2,926 Posts
I had an 03 Honda Silverwing and didn't ride it for a few weeks and promptly sold it......and I immediately had sellers remorse. Unlike any other motorcycle that I have sold and there have been several. I now own an 05 Silverwing.

I am not sure how to guide a person on buying one..... as the usual things apply when buying a used bike. Low miles.... maintenance records and bikes that have been ridden rather than just sitting is always a better choice.

The plastic body parts are expensive to replace so anything that has been scraped up should be severely discounted and Silverwing owners know this.

The stock windshield is crap, most change them out to Givi windshields. There are adjustable height ones which are the highest priced. The Givi AF214 is my preference: :)

The stock seats are just as bad as the windshield. They fit a person 5'5" - 8" It is the backrest that gives the most riders the fits as it just pushes one too far forward. Most remove the backrest but then it leaves the seat looking unfinished. Those that plan on keeping the bike long term buy a Corbin. :)

Reading at the Silverwing website is always a good thing:

http://www.silverwing600.com/

There are some folks on that forum that ride "darkside" meaning car tires on the rear... and are claiming 40,000 miles on a rear tire.

You can buy a pair of tires for it for the price of one front Goldwing Tire.

The Silverwing looks like an entry level bike, but is far from it. It can and does out perform quite a few motorcycles on the road. None of the stock V-twins can keep up with it in the city or on the highway. It can cruise at 90 all day long with a top speed of 105. And it can get to that speed very fast. Sport bikes and performance bikes will top it, but they too will be surprised by how long you can stay with it.

The step though design makes it easy to ride.

The fuel injection makes the bike easy to start and it is ready to go in a heart beat.

The under the seat storage is fantastic.

It is an odd duck of a motorcycle. The classic scooter riders don't see it as a scooter and the classic motorcyclist sees it as a toy.

I would not hesitate to jump on mine and ride it coast to coast.... however, I have the best motorcycle made for doing that, so there you go. It is decision time every time I go out for a ride. The fact that my Silverwing gets mileage when I have the option to ride a Goldwing is a testament to how much fun and convenience it is to ride the thing. My girl friend won't ride on it.... but that is because she prefers the Wing.

I get 50 miles per gallon if I ride it like old people have sex. I roll the throttle hard quite a bit and I get 40 mpg in town.

The brakes are great.

The maintenance schedule is easy to live with. There is no clutch but there is belts and rollers. Belts and rollers are good for 25,000 miles. Cost to replace both is $350.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.