Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I did it, I went 1100 miles from 11:00 Thursday night to 7:00 pm Tonight!
I didn't need an Iron butt award or anything! Left Houston at 11 pm Thursday and arrived in Sharon Ohio ( exit 15 on I-75 north of Cincinnati ) @ 7 pm Friday. I even had time to stop in and visit my cousin in Clarksville Tennessee for about 45 minutes!

I am headed to Ottawa Canada, My Wifes Step Dad passed away Thursday and we made an emergency trip. We get up in the morning and have about 750 miles to go.

I only seem to be getting 20.4 MPG though????

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of miles without a doubt. Sorry to hear that it is a ride for a reason such as you have.

I averaged a little over 31 running into a headwind (25+ mph) at an indicated 75 mph riding solo with just a few clothes in the trunk for approximately 175 miles. The return trip looks like it will be around 45 or so with a tailwind and running 70-75 indicated - still haven't filled up yet.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
According to my math, you're averaging 55 miles per hour, despite however many stops you've made for gas, meals, or visiting with your cousin. So that must mean your are bringing the mail when you're moving, more than likely 70+ mph. That would affect the mileage, though I wouldn't expect it to be only 20.4, 2-up, even at that highway speed.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I must confess. In true Buzzy fashion, I have maybe pulled a funny!
The original post is all true except for one tiny detail.
I am in the TRUCK and not the bike.:D

But I did accidentally bring my Key for the bike, in my twisted mind, that makes this MC related.............lol

I will say this though, I am impressed with the fuel mileage I am getting in the truck. Our averaged speed is 80 mph with the cruise control set. Very little traffic the whole way so far too.
The truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie Crew Cab with a 5.7L Hemi.

Previously I had hand calculated fuel milage of 21 mpg on a 500 mile trip but at that time I thought it was a fluke!
Yesterday we averaged 20.4 mpg @ an average speed of 80 mph while on the highway with maybe 300 miles of stop-n-go slower back roads and a total of 1100 miles covered.
This is hand calculated mpg not the lie-o-meter in the truck. But I tell you what, the trucks computer says 19.8 mpg and is pretty close to the real mpg for a change.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok, I must confess. In true Buzzy fashion, I have maybe pulled a funny!
The original post is all true except for one tiny detail.
I am in the TRUCK and not the bike.:D

But I did accidentally bring my Key for the bike, in my twisted mind, that makes this MC related.............lol

I will say this though, I am impressed with the fuel mileage I am getting in the truck. Our averaged speed is 80 mph with the cruise control set. Very little traffic the whole way so far too.
The truck is a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie Crew Cab with a 5.7L Hemi.

Previously I had hand calculated fuel milage of 21 mpg on a 500 mile trip but at that time I thought it was a fluke!
Yesterday we averaged 20.4 mpg @ an average speed of 80 mph while on the highway with maybe 300 miles of stop-n-go slower back roads and a total of 1100 miles covered.
This is hand calculated mpg not the lie-o-meter in the truck. But I tell you what, the trucks computer says 19.8 mpg and is pretty close to the real mpg for a change.
Buzzy, had me fooled for a moment........I have ridden, rode, rided
1000 miles in 18 hrs, 1250 miles in 21 hr, 1150 miles in 18 hrs, yada, yada, yada. Last year I rode to Sturgis, SD from Vencie, FL. the first day I rode 1125 miles, I think it was in 19 or 20 hrs. I ride from Venice, Fl to Dover, OH alot in the summer to see kids and grand kids, sometimes I go straight thru in 19 hrs, sometimes I stop a night on the road. I have been ridding the 1000 plus miles for many, many years. Always solo, when the wife is with I have to stop. No Iron Butt pins, proof of ride, reg. fees, or what ever else they want. I just enjoy riding and keep on going. No matter how fast I ride the average speed is always consistantly at 56 MPH. It always seems to balance out with the stops, eating, and resting. (I did do them all on my motor cicle......) Have fun, be safe and keep on truckin.:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Buzzy you almost had me fooled. Right up until the 750 mile to go thing, I didn't put 2 & 2 together; it's waaaay more than 750 miles from Texas to Ottawa:rolleyes:. Just remember to be careful, that ain't a bow-tie yer drivin (haha).;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buzzy you almost had me fooled. Right up until the 750 mile to go thing, I didn't put 2 & 2 together; it's waaaay more than 750 miles from Texas to Ottawa:rolleyes:. Just remember to be careful, that ain't a bow-tie yer drivin (haha).;)
Well buddy, I tell ya what. I was a "Bow-Tie" all my life till 4 years ago. I have owned 10 Chevy Silverado's.
But when both the last 2 I owned had the transmission replaced @ 10k miles, I decided it was time to look elsewhere. Also influencing my decision was the fact that Dodge was selling a better equipt truck for $10k less than I could buy a similar Chevy! I bought it and when it came time to buy again. I bought another Dodge.
People don't give these trucks the credit they deserve. And this is coming from a die-hard Chevy man!
80k miles between both trucks and I have had absolutely no problems with them.
The last few chevy's on the other hand? I had the last 3 in the shop several times for all kinds of crap.

And as far as that 750 miles to go? You did not read the whole post. I had already driven 1100 miles and posted that at the Hotel in Cincinnati Ohio.:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And by the way my Canadian Friend. We stopped and got a Hotel in Watertown, New York for the night. We got a late start today and by the time we get to Dawns mom's, it will be after midnight. So we stopped here for the night.

But reason for this post is, outside my room, there are about 10 bikes parked. Half of them are Goldwings and all of them have Ontario plates. Damn makes me wish we were on the Wing!!!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Well buddy, I tell ya what. I was a "Bow-Tie" all my life till 4 years ago. I have owned 10 Chevy Silverado's.
But when both the last 2 I owned had the transmission replaced @ 10k miles, I decided it was time to look elsewhere. Also influencing my decision was the fact that Dodge was selling a better equipt truck for $10k less than I could buy a similar Chevy! I bought it and when it came time to buy again. I bought another Dodge.
People don't give these trucks the credit they deserve. And this is coming from a die-hard Chevy man!
80k miles between both trucks and I have had absolutely no problems with them.
The last few chevy's on the other hand? I had the last 3 in the shop several times for all kinds of crap.

And as far as that 750 miles to go? You did not read the whole post. I had already driven 1100 miles and posted that at the Hotel in Cincinnati Ohio.:D

10k on the transmission? You had a good one! One of my neighbors had two new Chev trucks, one's transmission lasted about 600 miles, the other the engine went on the way home! He decided to keep his old 70's Chev and buy a car!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you find you seat good enough for 1000+ mi trips? I did a 1500mi round trip Tampa-Tennessiee but the seat was my only complain.
I found the stock seat on my "02" GL1800 fairly comfortable. Far better than my 1200 & 1500's were. I did put a sheep skin on it occassionally to make it cooler. I eventually had it customized and done in leather. Now it is very comfortable. No sore butt or discomfort. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am with John on the average miles per hour thing.....I can usually do only 55 to 60 with gas and stopping.
I am surprised to hear that you only got 20 mpg.....even at 80 mph.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
On my BC trip I ran 1734 miles in 24.5 total riding hours including fuel and food and photos. Average of 70.8 mph. But I was by myself so no 'war dept' to control my need to cover ground.
Buzzy, I've owned 'em all more than once and I'm back driving a Sierra Duramax. Other than the el cheapo tanny cooler lines (except for what you have to pay to replace them that is) no glitches in 65,000 miles. My Cummins was great right up to the 200.000 mark when it developed a hunger for injector pumps and lift pumps. my '96 V10 was fine but rode like a lumber wagon and a cold blooded beast in the winter. My two F250's were good trucks as long as the injectors held up. The GMC 6.5 I had was hard on pumps as well. They've all got an Achilles heal as far as I'm concerned. Pretty inexcusable when you factor in what you pay for the doggone things.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On my BC trip I ran 1734 miles in 24.5 total riding hours including fuel and food and photos. Average of 70.8 mph. But I was by myself so no 'war dept' to control my need to cover ground.
Buzzy, I've owned 'em all more than once and I'm back driving a Sierra Duramax. Other than the el cheapo tanny cooler lines (except for what you have to pay to replace them that is) no glitches in 65,000 miles. My Cummins was great right up to the 200.000 mark when it developed a hunger for injector pumps and lift pumps. my '96 V10 was fine but rode like a lumber wagon and a cold blooded beast in the winter. My two F250's were good trucks as long as the injectors held up. The GMC 6.5 I had was hard on pumps as well. They've all got an Achilles heal as far as I'm concerned. Pretty inexcusable when you factor in what you pay for the doggone things.
budoka, what the hell is up with these bugs you guys have up here??? I swear they look and sound like small birds hitting the windshield!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Haha, wait till you go through a swarm of grasshoppers if you think those are big. They'll leave a welt on your leg for gosh-sakes! right now the dragonflys are out in full force here (I call 'em Hueys). Had a buddy get hit in the nose by one of them, nearly took him of the seat of his FXR, gave him a bloody nose and had a bruise for about a week. Between them and the spruce beetles and the bumble bees, you almost need an extra shield to stop them.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
The start of the posts had me going also. Thought you were really earning that iron but pin. I've gone some 600 mile days and was starting to get uncomfortable on the stock seat. I also have been a die-hard Chevy person until recently. We are looking to replace the wife's Envoy and she likes the Chevy Equinox but we haven't finished looking yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts