Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, after my last post I've been riding everyday for the last three months and I just got back. Anyway, I think I developed a transmission problem. I put my bike in neutral, let go of the clutch, and then slightly let the bike roll forward a bit, it will jump into gear. The first time this happened it scared the hell out of me because the engine was running and the bike lurched and almost threw me off. Anybody know what can cause that? Is it time for a new clutch?

I've been riding for three months and this just started happening a few days ago and I have no idea were to start troubleshooting. I bought the bike used with 83K miles on it. I've religiously checked the bike before each riding day and all the fluid levels and pressures were normalized before I rode the bike. Any help that can be provided will greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That happened on my GL 1100 many years ago...the dealer at that time said the clutch cable need adjustment...he adjusted and it went away...not sure why this would have caused the problem..my guess is that the bike was never really in nuetral even thoght the light said it was...

Good Luck

Safe Ride...

·
Registered
129 Posts
The clutch is there to disengage the motor motion and has nothing to do with transmission transfer of gears but to allow it.

If you make a mistake and not engage the gear, it will be no gear action, period. Then you have to kick it back in to the right spot of "driving gear" but not neutral.

What might be happening, with 80K+ miles on it that the gear changing fork that rides along the worm hole path is worn out, the one that handles the 1st and neutral. It's only a 5/16 pin (incorporated with a gear changing fork) that rides along the shaft's worm paths and if the previous owner was an ass-O, then you have to look at it and change it. It's a bulletproof engine and the only way to f*** it up is to totally not care about it.

Cluch cable, my ass, this is beginning to sound like NakedWing forum responder team is taking over. Next thing it's going to be brake fluid or some Holland Euro trash telling you it's the spokes.

Ride it till you can park it and get the baby out and see.

Take care
G

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip G. You've confirmed what my mechanic also told me and since it's getting cold outside it's time to put the bike up for the winter and start breaking it down. Luckly my mechanic is also my buddy and lives close by so pulling and inspecting the gear changing fork is going to be a winter project that we can perform in my garage. Again, thanks for you response.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good to see a constructive positive response from Astor123 (hey, we knew you could do it). Good thing your buddy's a wrench, that will help you out lots. It is only early September you know, don't have to surrender to winter yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just for the hell of it, see if you have some slack in your clutch lever. It should be around 5-10 degrees of free movement. I usually adjust mine so there is minimal slack.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good to see a constructive positive response from Astor123 (hey, we knew you could do it).

Bu, don't let me come up with something like the last time you laid your ride going over a lane marker, remember !?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a spring loaded arm(aka the neutral detent arm) under the front cover at the forward end of the shift drum. It has a roller on the end that fits into a notch on the shift drum to hold the drum between the first and second gear position. The spring attatched to that arm is either unhooked or broken. Pull the lower radiator hose neck off the front cover and check out the water pump (wiggle the water pump impeller to check the water pump bearings for slack), if the water pump needs attention you can fix the neutral detent at the same time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mike,

I know what you are talking about that that rig is intended to control the foot shifter lever and has nothing to do of preventing the set gear from coming out of it's position. It could be possible and as you have mentioned to check the water screw is another plus, while at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The shifter is centered by the shift return spring (part #24641-371-000), I'm talking about the "neutral stopper arm"(part #24440-371-000). The part # for the neutral arm spring is 24435-371-000 .

·
Registered
129 Posts
No way that can pop the gear out but I reserve the judgment that you might be right.

It would be easy to tell if it's the spring, the pedal would not spring back to its position. While at it, last time I removed that front cover I used silicone instead of the gasket and it brought the cover closer to the engine block (for the thickness of the gasket) and the front of that shifter arm where the spring is located ended up touching the front cover and it caused it to move very hard. There's a flat spot inside the cover that is machined to have low tolerance to keep that arm in place and without the gasket on the cover that spot was hitting the shaft of the lever. I had to grind that spot down a bit and everything worked fine.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good to see a constructive positive response from Astor123 (hey, we knew you could do it).

Bu, don't let me come up with something like the last time you laid your ride going over a lane marker, remember !?
Hey, no moving violations of my ride (at least yet). One was my brainfart in the driveway and the other was a poor chioce in parking position at my insurance office. And yes it was sheer and utter stupidity on nobody's part but me:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts