Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Great rides

2 years ago in January (ish) I looked out my window and saw real weather blowing in. Winter weather in Arizona is unusual, this would have done Iowa proud. Obviously, its time to suit up! I headed for Globe thru Winkleman which changes elevation from 2500 to 5000 feet. Approaching Winkleman, the clouds were distinctly BLACK, evil looking. Perfect! Onward! The wing riders creed must be "Never Turn Back". Near the top it was full bore snowstorm. I made it over and down to Globe in 4 - 6 iches of powder.

It was right at 32. What little sense I had told me I just had to hole up. I rode to an buddys business ( Antiques) and put up. 15 minutes later the road were closed outside of town all three ways. I'm here, I said to self. Friends kept me all night, fed me well and in the morning the roads were open, sanded and not a cloud in the sky. Perfect deep blue sky, horizon to horizon and no wind. That ride back to Tucson was memorable. Arizona desert, covered with a foot of powder snow, it was inspiring. My reward for for sticking my front wheel where it probably shouldn't have been. Past Winkleman headed down, the snow was gone except in my memory.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Amen Chopin

You got it right. keep in touch and i'll meet u in Winkleman for lunch. If i can't make it be sure to go to Maria's resturant for lunch and order her ground beef tacos w rice and beans. These are a 12 on a 10 scale. Superior - Globe - Winlkeman - Superior is the most beautiful 90 mile ride I know of.

A contender is the talamena drve in Arkansas - Oklahoma. Mena, Ark to Talin, Okalhoma; 58 miles of splendor esp in fall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.