Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited till the temp had reached 40 deg. for a long enough time to melt the black ice always present on my country road , it seems like the ice is always present and lurks on off camber turns or places where other traffic could present a challenge even on good days.I fired the 88 1500 up and let my baby warm for a few minutes then slipped her in gear and across the 3 inches of unmelted snow from the carport to the 1/4 mile gravel drive that leads from home to adventures and likewise to home and a well deserved rest period.
Just a little packed ice right at the paved road entrance and away we go . Right to Wally world to pick up a last minute card for my wife for Christmas.
Called her and she wanted some country ham for breakfast , so I picked that up and ran for home , Put the ham in the fridge and filled out the card, then I went on my sort of planned ride, my intention was to get the wing on some snow background . I headed toward Va. and then to Fort Blackmore to make the loop around the old 2 lane road and back over through Midway. I put on a little over 90 miles before returning home to put my sweetie pie up for a spell. Never did stop for pictures , guess the ride was to much fun. I make a round trip into Va. several times a month and there are probably 10 or more variations of about the same distance on all the rides. Well tomorrow is Christmas day and some of the family will be here early , we are doing breakfast this year instead of the traditional dinner. You all have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year . Let your dreams be of the many miles left to travel. And remember the reason we celibrate this season.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Wait a minute here! I'm looking out my window here in the suburbs of Northern Virginia. The main roads are cleared with the usual clump and lines of sand and salt, the local roads are pocked with snow bumps. While I'm contemplating these formidable conditions there is someone riding their Goldwing in the hills of southern Virginia ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was not to bad really , roads were very well cleared . There were some nasty piles on the sides of the road , but me filly stayed off that. I ride year round if the temp is over 35 on dry days I ride, on damp road days I will put it off till 40 deg. temp come around for a day or 2 . Get the wing out and discover winter wonderland riding.:)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Great rides

2 years ago in January (ish) I looked out my window and saw real weather blowing in. Winter weather in Arizona is unusual, this would have done Iowa proud. Obviously, its time to suit up! I headed for Globe thru Winkleman which changes elevation from 2500 to 5000 feet. Approaching Winkleman, the clouds were distinctly BLACK, evil looking. Perfect! Onward! The wing riders creed must be "Never Turn Back". Near the top it was full bore snowstorm. I made it over and down to Globe in 4 - 6 iches of powder.

It was right at 32. What little sense I had told me I just had to hole up. I rode to an buddys business ( Antiques) and put up. 15 minutes later the road were closed outside of town all three ways. I'm here, I said to self. Friends kept me all night, fed me well and in the morning the roads were open, sanded and not a cloud in the sky. Perfect deep blue sky, horizon to horizon and no wind. That ride back to Tucson was memorable. Arizona desert, covered with a foot of powder snow, it was inspiring. My reward for for sticking my front wheel where it probably shouldn't have been. Past Winkleman headed down, the snow was gone except in my memory.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
God you guys should be writing books. I was with you every bit of your trip. Back in 93, I think, I went cross country on my 1000 Virago with a couple of buddies. When we arrived in Calgary, we met an old fellow who was 80 at the time and he rode his bike everyday to work. He told us he had only missed three days the previous winter. He was guite the character.

I always wanted to take my Virago out on Chistmas Day with a Santa suit on but never did because of weather. I don't think I would take my new Wing out after they have layed any salt down on the road. I think that would have been a drive of a life time in an area like Arizona. Loved the story. Ride safely.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I'm with you redfox, as much as I would like to head out on some dry days, it's the salt that stops me. As a rule I wait until a couple of good down pours in spring before I bring my baby out of hibernation.
In the meantime I will live my riding precariously with you guys.
BR

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
billcarr: I've done the ride from west Phoenix , via 60, to Globe and then up to Roosevelt Lake, unfortunately in a car. When I visit this year in late March, and I can squeeze a couple days on a rented Ultra-Glide, I want to take that trail again. I will never forget the view while cresting a hill on Highway 188 and seeing Roosevelt Lake in the distance. I swore right then that " I shall return ".

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Amen Chopin

You got it right. keep in touch and i'll meet u in Winkleman for lunch. If i can't make it be sure to go to Maria's resturant for lunch and order her ground beef tacos w rice and beans. These are a 12 on a 10 scale. Superior - Globe - Winlkeman - Superior is the most beautiful 90 mile ride I know of.

A contender is the talamena drve in Arkansas - Oklahoma. Mena, Ark to Talin, Okalhoma; 58 miles of splendor esp in fall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a machine , don't care about looks as much as the ride. I got caught up in the more show than go crap for a spell , but I am over that now. Riding is much mor fun and purposly hitting a nice big mud hole reminds me of the old trail bike days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
same here,Redfox & Badrider lots of salt here in central Il. I guess I'll wait for Moonshine in April. Maybe i'll see some of you Gentleman there getting a moonburger. Well i got to go I have to take another ride around my garage, It's good therapy,it don't work but it's an excuse to ride,You all take care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts