Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dang... the ONLY station that's listed in Vegas is right around the corner from my house. Will definitely check it out! Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What are the pros and cons of using non-alcohol gas in motorcycles? Cars? What does it do TO and FOR any rubber seals, gaskets, etc.?

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
When I was down in Crater Lake Oregon this past summer was the first time I ever rode my wing with regular gas without alcohol. The performance really went up.
That's what my riding buddy that day " told " me. Never know until you try for yourself. Thanks for the link. In my disappointment at the closed sign on the station I forgot to check the price/ gallon of this 100% gas .

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Told you we love corn growers here in Pa. We only have 18 in the whole state while VA. has 173. Chopin you should have no trouble finding it.

Cool website Larry.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I just found this website which lists gas stations which sell gas without alcohol added.

When I was down in Crater Lake Oregon this past summer was the first time I ever rode my wing with regular gas without alcohol. The performance really went up.

Here is the link.

real gas no junk added

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Clear this up for me....I thought pure 100% wasn't very good for the Wings. I have 3 stations within 5 miles....Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the manual said 100% gas is bad.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
We have a smog problem here in the Dallas area; maybe that's why there's not a single station on the list within a hundred or so miles. Bummer.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I bet the average would be $.50 more per gallon more for regular without alcohol. However, I got 4 or 5 miles per gallon better when I was using it at Crater Lake. The problem down there was that the gas was $5.60 a gallon. (He was the only station for 50 miles next to the resort.) Out on our rides, I rode past many $3.75 stations to get to his to top off my tank at $5.60

I mean.... my bike took notice..... kinda like an old man who gets a shot of whiskey. Not only did she rev up good, but she had some interesting camp fire stories.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clear this up for me....I thought pure 100% wasn't very good for the Wings. I have 3 stations within 5 miles....Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the manual said 100% gas is bad.
Not sure about your bike, but my bike was designed in the late 80's and put together in 94. The only thing you did with alcohol in those days was drink it or rub it on sore muscles.

I think there was a few other excuses to have it around.....

Seriously, alcohol does attack gaskets and rubber is not all that great for most motors.

Eat Corn
Drill for oil.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The biggest detriment to ehtanol laced fuel is our variable climate. During the winter months we can have pretty severe temperature fluctuations (-5*c down to -40*c) and ethanol fuels are dynamite for condensation in fluctuating temps. They also go 'stale' in a relatively short time so very bad for low usage or storage off season (eg m/c's in the winter months). Ethanol raises particular cain in a two stroke engine (like snowmobiles) and you never know what you're getting quality wise. I burn nothing but 92 ethanol free in my sleds and that's what goes in the tank of the bikes, tractor, lawnmower etc for the winter naps...plus the stabilizer. There's no doubt that the "eco friendly" fuels are not what they are cracked up to be; poorer performance, poorer economy/mileage etc so if they're supposedly better for the environment why is it we burn more per mile thereby releasing more exhaust fumes into the atmosphere? Seems to be some untruth and confusion here Orley!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
you may notice a performance increase using 100%gas compaired to the blended fuels being sold. ethanol had a lower btu rating than gas so you get less bang for your buck

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
you may notice a performance increase using 100%gas compaired to the blended fuels being sold. ethanol had a lower btu rating than gas so you get less bang for your buck
And just where will you put your 4,000th post, Doc ? Think carefully, choose wisely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A dissenting voice--don't understand all this attention to gas, it seems like wherever I go E10 is what is available, and (sorry guys) it works great in everything I have that burns gas including cars, trucks, motorcycles, and small engines. The owners manuel that goes with my '08 GL1800 states plainly that fuel containing 10% ethanol is acceptable. In the winter months I do add Stabil to all gas tanks that have seldom/use, including the wing. Too many other things to deal with besides gas.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
And just where will you put your 4,000th post, Doc ? Think carefully, choose wisely.
Don't Comment Doc....This is huge....Start your thread for this one.;)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A dissenting voice--don't understand all this attention to gas, it seems like wherever I go E10 is what is available, and (sorry guys) it works great in everything I have that burns gas including cars, trucks, motorcycles, and small engines. The owners manuel that goes with my '08 GL1800 states plainly that fuel containing 10% ethanol is acceptable. In the winter months I do add Stabil to all gas tanks that have seldom/use, including the wing. Too many other things to deal with besides gas.
I understand your choice. What happened to me was this: I bought my Wing and had never had the experience to run the Wing without the alcohol added fuel. When I tried the gas, I noticed an immediate increase in power and I got better mpg on the 100% gas. My bike has always been peppy, but when it got a drink of the 100% gas, it was a much stronger bike. No doubt about it.

I like more mpg and more power at the throttle. I know many who will pay big money for add ons to get 10% increase in power. I got 10% more power by putting in different gas at .50 a gallon. Good to go here.

I don't drink alcohol but I would still remove it from my gas and pour it out than to burn it in my motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I'm still waiting on an 1800 owner that will tell me that its okay to use 100%. I use it exclusively in my mowers and 4 wheelers.

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Finally someone without an axe to grind. I understand the purists viewpoint going back to the old days. However those products are slowly disappearing. While there are still some holdouts staying with 100% gas most likely they to will disappear. Using E10 here in Pa as I have stated has become common place just because availibility.

For those of you that wish to spend your riding time looking for the real mccoy I guess have a party. I'll ride where I want to & use additives.

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
I'm still waiting on an 1800 owner that will tell me that its okay to use 100%. I use it exclusively in my mowers and 4 wheelers.
I would not use it exclusively for technical reason I know not of, but once in a while I think it would be nice to " clean the pipes out ". I'm an 1800 owner and I say it's OK for you to try a tank full. I don't think I'll get down to my closest 100% station this year.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts