Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was sitting here eatting lunch at work here in Africa and looked at several old posts about wing mileage or km for our far Northern Friends. I did not see anything specifically on wings with over 100,000 m/160934.4 km. So I thought I would start one.

If your wing has over this amout of mileage then post and let us know about it.

I will start:

My wing is a 97 GL1500 SE. I got it in 2009 and it had 192,000 miles on it. I got it off Ebay from a dealer in Dallas, Tx. The PO had wreaked it back in 2007. It had been somewhat repaired but you could still see that it was laid down on the left side. I have went trough it totally and properly fixed all that the PO had tried to fix (he was a JB weld junkie). I have had the wing repainted and have just added a tow pac to it so my wife would ride more with me.

I am getting the tow pac painted when I get home in a few days. I am also rebuilding the front forks, rebuilding the carbs, changing out the pulse gen, ECU and coils and wires. Putting on new brakes front and rear along with new HEL brake lines. Also changing out front and rear wheel bearings and doing a complete fluid change.......sounds like I will be busy huh?:D

My wing now has 198,000 miles / 318650.112 km on her and going strong.

Ok so that is about it for me.....let's hear about your wing if you have 100,000 or more miles on your wing.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have 114K miles on an 04, bought it new in 03. Basically a trouble free ride with minor problems, fork seal (2x) reverse switch(replace nacelle) minor electric stuff such as lightbulbs. Basically very sound. I did have warranty and 4 year extended warranty. I wish I could extend the extended warranty.

I have ridden 30 or so of the states and enjoyed many long rides with 5000 miles being the longest. Mine is red, a very rare color in Wings. Honda simply quit about two months into the production year. I think about trading in for a new one but dont want to be on hook for a big, long loan in these uncertain times. Beside it will go many more years and its a rare color!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i have about 110,000 miles...... between my two wings :)

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
The 93 SE I just purchased has 192,000 miles. It needs a lot of work, but the engine still sounds strong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a '99 SE with 110,000. It looks great and runs pretty well. I replaced the windscreen as the original was scuffed and hard to see through at night. I'm currently working on fixing a gas smell problem (i've previously posted on this). I'm also getting ready to replace the timing belts. I'm curious, have any of you replaced your belts? If so, at what mileage?

Thanks for putting a focus on the bikes like ours with over 100k.

Rick

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced my timing belts right after getting my wing as I had no clue from the PO as to when they were done. The old belts looked ok on the bike. When I took them off and looked closer they had alot of hair line cracks in them.....so I guess they had not ever been changed. I also had to replace the timing belt covers, as stated in my first post in this thread, the PO was a JB weld Junkie.....the covers had broke when he laid the wing down and he use a lot of JB weld to put the covers back together.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick

No I did not change the tensioners. I did check them and they seamed to be fine so I just replaced the belts.

I have sent you a PM to give you a site to go to that has a picture tutorial on how to replace the timing belts. Just follow along and you should not have any problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Bama,

Thanks, again. You've been very generous with your advice. I have looked at the Saunders post on changing the belts, and I think that's the one I'm going to follow. It seems very detailed, and the photos are clear.

Wish me luck,
Rick

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Had 167,000 miles on my '84 (269,354 km) forget if I put in 2 sets of belts or just one, 3 stators and numerous tires. Now the only thing that has lots of miles in the stable is ME:eek:

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Bought my wing new in August of 93. It have 172,000 plus miles on it, all mine.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Time to drag out an old thread. I am not ever going to get into any record books but.
I have 2 goldwings with over 100k miles. My 1200 has 180,000kms (112,000 miles) and the 1500 has 120,000 miles. The 1500 is in better condition out of the 2 bikes.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Bought my wing new in August of 93. It have 172,000 plus miles on it, all mine.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
It now has 210,000 plus on it and has developed a bit of a tranny noise. Just bought a 99 wing with 14,200 on it.
Hope to change that soon.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
It now has 210,000 plus on it and has developed a bit of a tranny noise. Just bought a 99 wing with 14,200 on it.
Hope to change that soon.:wink2:
How are you going to explain how you have 16 year old bike and ONLY 14,000 mile on it Ron? :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
:biglaugh:

Candy Arse Tourer

Reactions: cpmengel

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Just rolled 196,000 miles on my 2006. looking forward to joining the 200K club.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sold my 89 3 summers ago with 175,000 klm's on it and picked up an 04 with approx 60 k on it.Right around 105 k on it now in 3 crappy summers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts