Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have wanted to buy a GoldWing for a little over a year now. But I first needed to sell my golf cart. Well, today we sold it to a nice older couple at the campground. I would really like to be able to get a 1500, but we only go $2500 for the cart, so I am going to put it in the bank, and hopefully save up a little more money until spring. I know this is kind of a broad question, but how much $$$ do you think I will need to get into an earlier 1500? Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but we live in Minnesota. If I cant save up enough over winter, I would be willing to buy a 1200, as long as it was really taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
If your lucky you can find one that may need a little work like an 88 or 89. I know a gentleman who recently sold one for $1500.00 but it had some issues caused by bad advice and he didn't want to put the money into it, you could get a good deal from someone selling their Wing due to medical problems, passed away or in need of $$$ to pay bills.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
My first wing I looked on Ebay almost every day for at least a year while I saved. I eventually found a 85 1200 for $3000.00 and bought it. It had 49500 miles and needed tires and the seat redone. Kept it 5 years put about 40,000 miles on it and just sold it for $2000.00 (Great Bike)...Just keep saving and do NOT settle make sure you get what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I bought my 85 1200 this spring for 2600 and am very happy!! He wanted 3000 but was able to talk him down!! IT HAD 68,000 MILES ON IT! He through in 2 brand new dunlops as well!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
seeing he want to get a 1500 wing the price of a 1200 isn't doing him much good unless he changes his mind and considers a 1200 wing. take a look here and maybe you can find something http://craiglook.com/

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I have been watching craigs list, and ebay since last fall, just to get some ideas of what was out there. But now that I actually have some cash in hand, I want to start looking more seriously. I am not against getting a 1200 completly, I would just prefer a 1500. I guess I will just have to keep looking, and see how much cash I have come spring time to decide.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
A 1200 is a good machine. I dont know how much different the 1500 is but I do know the difference between 1200 and 1800. Great Googley Moogley! Good Luck and like I said do NOT compromise, keep saving and get what you want. Nothing but the best to ya!!!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Great finds detdr! Hope they help.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Personally, the difference between the 1100 and 1500 is night and day. I have ridden both for years. It's not just the engine size but the newer technology.
Buy what you can afford and regardless, they're both great machines.
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Registered
13 Posts
You might also want to try www.buysell.com. I found both my wings there and I think that I did very well with the price on both. A 97 1500SE and a 04 1800. Don't be afraid of the higher milage bikes. Wings just seem to keep going and going. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I went to look for the 1989 GL-1500 'handyman's special' that was on Craigslist in in Florida, somebody bought it. It needed the carbs rebuilt, a new starter and an alternator and the price was $800.00. Someone who was handy grabbed it quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts