Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1997 Goldwing from my friend. It was his uncle's bike and is right at 100,000 miles. Timing belts I know!!!

I was worried about the 100,000 miles so I have been doing research on it. I read last night that a Honda Tech stated the 97+ 1500 engine was good for 1.2 million miles assuming you don't kill it via timing belts, overheating etc. Is this really true?

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
That sounds a little much. I know they'll go 200K+.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds a little much. I know they'll go 200K+.
Honda supposedly told him this at training school. I have personally torn engines down at 500K that still had the hone pattern visible in the bores. Engines are normally killed by their owners not worn out from miles. Run out of oil, overheated, timing belts etc.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I know of a couple bikes that have turned past the 6 digit mark (supposedly) on the road. One's on display in a Honda dealership here in Alberta (Turple's in Red Deer)...CB750K. For any manufacturer to make a claim to that however...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I know of a couple bikes that have turned past the 6 digit mark (supposedly) on the road. One's on display in a Honda dealership here in Alberta (Turple's in Red Deer)...CB750K. For any manufacturer to make a claim to that however...
For any manufacturer to make a claim to that however...would require that someone actually did it and has the bike to show it!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean 7 digits??? One million miles??? 6 digits 100,000 plus is fairly common.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For any manufacturer to make a claim to that however...would require that someone actually did it and has the bike to show it!
This was what the Honda trainer told the Honda trainees. That not a claim to the public. With everything going right stuff like that can happen. I had BMW tell me that an engine should go a million miles if nothing breaks ha ha. Normally good engines are killed not worn out. Life is good till they land in the hands of a careless owner.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I just purchased a 1997 Goldwing from my friend. It was his uncle's bike and is right at 100,000 miles. Timing belts I know!!!

I was worried about the 100,000 miles so I have been doing research on it. I read last night that a Honda Tech stated the 97+ 1500 engine was good for 1.2 million miles assuming you don't kill it via timing belts, overheating etc. Is this really true?
Don't really think anyone really knows how far they will go,but I'm pretty sure there is no other bike motor that will go as far without major repair/rebuild.
Local Honda shop tore down a 1500(trade in) with approx 350k miles on it for a noisey brg behind the clutch and they said there was virtually no wear on the crank brgs or the cyl. walls.Replaced the brg behind the clutch,threw a set of rings in it,left the original crank brgs in it and sold it.That was about 5 years ago and as far as I know it's still going.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I did the belts on my 93 last spring at 105k. Despite being nearly 20 yr old, markings were still on belts, reversed belt and no signs of cracking, but thet were a bit stretched.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I used to ride a Suzuki Burgman 650. I have several friends who have nearly 100k and have had to either re-build engine, do valve job or trade bike. 100k on a Wing however is not high mileage. Just look at what bikes are still on the road that either have 100k+ or are 30+ years old; Goldwings.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
The belts can be purchased a NAPA for about $30.00 each. If you go to Honda, you're looking at $55.00 plus.
I bought mine at Amazon.com and only paid $32.82 for both.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the labor charge???? Since I have no life and too much stuff, I don't work on stuff anymore. Pretty bad since I worked as a Honda mechanic in the SOHC era of Honda. And my display started working on my bike. It does not always come on at first though. It looks great though.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
No, labor at a shop will probably run somewhere between $225 and $350.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Probably half of that labour is removing and then re-installing the tupperware.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.