Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this so please hang in with me. I am about to purchase a goldwing and have it converted to a trike using a CA side car Cobra. The dealer is offering me a brand new (never used) in the crate 2008 Goldwing top of the line airbag equiped. I also can buy a 2010 Goldwing airbag top of the line. Dealer says they are identical. What scares me is that the 08 is going for mega dollars less than the 10. Are there differences that I should be aware of? Help please.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
As far as I have been told the major difference is in the factory GPS and the ((( XM ))) radio. I ride an '08, my closest riding buddy rides an '10. Besides his having ABS the only difference is color. Oops ! The other equipment on the '10 is the Tire Pressure Monitor.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I would be real careful in this purchase, I wouldn't do anything without checking with Trapperdick........If he can't tell you no one can....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
WARNING
Better check w/conversion company before you buy either bike!
There are several that will not approve install of their conversion on ABS models!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know about the trike conversion of a bike with an air bag, you SHOULD check into that. As far as the bikes, I did some checking when I bought my new Wings last Sept. The 10 has the tire pressure warning system, the 08 does not. The 10 has XM radio built into the system, free for one year, the 08 does not. The 10 has a newer version Nav system than the 08. Functionally the Nav systems are about the same (I think). There is one big difference however. The 10 has a different format for the mapping. Last I heard, Honda/Garmin will not be releasing any new/updated mapping for the 08 system. There are several threads about this on the forum.

Other than these things, I believe the bikes are mechanically identical.

Good luck with you purchase

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Can't add much to this other than what has been mentioned already. The cards in the Navi are the biggest difference in the two models (CF in the '08 and SD in the '10) and the mentioned update issue. The ABS is linked so the conversion company should have taken that into consideration, but check to be sure. The airbag shouldn't be a problem either since all the sensors should be frontal impact sensitive, and not be affected by the rear end swap (I think, but don't know for sure). Everything else is pretty much window dressing, so save some bucks if it fits your needs.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't know about the trike conversion of a bike with an air bag, you SHOULD check into that. As far as the bikes, I did some checking when I bought my new Wings last Sept. The 10 has the tire pressure warning system, the 08 does not. The 10 has XM radio built into the system, free for one year, the 08 does not. The 10 has a newer version Nav system than the 08. Functionally the Nav systems are about the same (I think). There is one big difference however. The 10 has a different format for the mapping. Last I heard, Honda/Garmin will not be releasing any new/updated mapping for the 08 system. There are several threads about this on the forum.

Other than these things, I believe the bikes are mechanically identical.

Good luck with you purchase
Yes, Garmin has promised to have updates for the older Navs also.
My undersatnding is new updates for both Nav systems are to be issued each August.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10750&ra=true#versionTab

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks for the info. Last I heard, that was not the case. I did look at the link. The latest update for the CF card shows 2008, I assume the 09 update will be out soon.
I'm hoping also.
Kind of ironic though, with the non-user friendly method to input a destination, add vias to get the exact route you want to take @ 1 number or letter at a time, by the time you're done you have the route memorized anyway!:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
'09 and '10 US models both have the SD cards if I recall. Our Cdn versions are still CF even the '10s. Yeesh.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as I have been told the major difference is in the factory GPS and the ((( XM ))) radio. I ride an '08, my closest riding buddy rides an '10. Besides his having ABS the only difference is color. Oops ! The other equipment on the '10 is the Tire Pressure Monitor.
Thank you I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 10 has XM radio built into the system, free for one year, the 08 does not.
One year? The dealer told me 3 months free. Was the dealer wrong? (Oh, no, that couldn't be!) I haven't seen any documentation.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Only major difference for the high end models between the 2008 and the 2010 is in the NAV and perhaps the availability of XM radio. Other than colors they are the same bikes.

If you are planning to keep the bike for a long time, I'd go with the 2008 and use the extra $$ on some farkles for the trike.. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
60 Posts
One year was what I was told when I was shopping.
Interesting timing, today I finally got a letter from XM. It's three months.

The reception is so erratic, I do not plan to pay for it when the three months runs out.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I found with my XM/Inno that the antenna placement is critical to optimze reception; not sure about the built in system antenna. XM is notorious for dropouts in Canada due to out northern location, directional beam from the satellite and all that. I hear Sirius is better though. I like my XM for the unlimited (almost) variety of programming inspite of the dropouts; superior to CD for convenience and space saving thats for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts