Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna cover a couple questions. I did search and find some good info on the nav systems.

I'm wondering tho, is the nav system from an 08 and 10 the same?

Also re: buying a new wing (I had an 05).

Looking for opinions on buying an 08 vs 10 considering new.

The obvious downside is buying a leftover 08, you immediately have a two year old bike when you ride it off the lot so is the discount on these enough to justify? A base 08 wing seems to run in the $19k range and yet dealers on ebay list base 10 wings for close to that.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 10, but probably the base as I'm not sure I want the nav part, the comfort is main thing I'd like.
Chris

·
Registered
449 Posts
Gonna cover a couple questions. I did search and find some good info on the nav systems.

I'm wondering tho, is the nav system from an 08 and 10 the same?

Also re: buying a new wing (I had an 05).

Looking for opinions on buying an 08 vs 10 considering new.

The obvious downside is buying a leftover 08, you immediately have a two year old bike when you ride it off the lot so is the discount on these enough to justify? A base 08 wing seems to run in the $19k range and yet dealers on ebay list base 10 wings for close to that.

Right now I'm leaning towards a 10, but probably the base as I'm not sure I want the nav part, the comfort is main thing I'd like.
Chris

The nav system itself is the same and for about $200 you can buy the 10 card and insert it into your 08. If you are going to travel outside of your known area it has it's advantages. For instance, we went to Florida for a week on ours. When we were getting tired, we would call up available motels within so many miles. Pick one and used the supplied phone number and reserve a room there. The main thing about the onboard system over a portable....you dont have to put it up to keep it from being stolen.
As far as what year model.....you need to decide if you plan to keep it along time and ride it, or resale or trade within a few years. That's were the 2 extra years will make a difference.
The comfort option is worth it all the way.
Regardless of your choice ........ride safe and prosper.;)

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I have the 08 Navi. The 09 and 10 models offered more detail in terms of small town names displayed on the map screen, besides being more currant. I live in the Washington D.C. area so maps are lagging behind roads here every six months. Unfortunately, I haven't delved into the sub-catagories to see beyond the general map yet, where the devil's in the details as far as new and improved. I'm old school in my job as a service tech and the only one of my younger peers that uses the paper map book. I think I'm pretty high-tech when I get on the Wing.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you can get a good deal on a base 08 I would do that and add a Garmin to it. An after market NAVI is a lot better than the Honda system, or you could wait until the 2011 Gold Wing comes out, they will be made in Japan and since Honda has to set up a new plant they MIGHT change the Gold Wing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just grab the Garmin GPS out of the cage and plug it in to the bike. You can get good deals on Leftover bikes. I bought several leftover bikes (most two years in the crate) and bought them at way less than dealer cost. As long as they havent been prepped they are still new. I once bought a 1981 CBX Tourer (Fairing like the sabre and bags like the Silverwing) in the crate from Meridian Honda in Fayettville NC in 1986 for 2100 dollars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Perhaps I have been reading incorrectly, but I understood the format for the Navi systems changed in 09. The city maps for the 08s and the 09s/0s will not interchange. From all I read, there will be no updates for the map cards for the 08s after v9. You might want to check into that a bit further.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a lot of good information about price of an 08 on this thread http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2450. The other thing about buying an 08 is Honda is giving 4.99% financing.

I did not know you could buy the 2010 Nav card for $200. Good information.

The other difference with the 2010 is that it comes with the TPM. I heard it goes off if you lose just a lb or 2 of air and is more of a pain than it is worth.

Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI All,
I want to thank all of you for taking the time to answer my questions!! All the answers are of great help to me, I'm still waffling on 08 or 10, unless I find a real killer deal.

Flawinger, interestingly enough the thread you linked is one I started!!

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
The other thing is that 08 Navi does not have XM, in my book a must have to clean up the cockpit with cluttered XM modules and wires. 2010 has XM with NAVI. 2010 in my book all the way and I own an 08. Go for the 2010, you get a warranty a new bike and all the fun of owning a new bike not a used one. thats my two cents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's one thing I'm giving a lot of thought to, I had xm on my other wing (installed myself) but thinking it'd be nice for all to be done and ready, decisions decisions!

Still quite a few new 08s for sale at a reasonable discount but still not sure which way to go.
Chris

The other thing is that 08 Navi does not have XM, in my book a must have to clean up the cockpit with cluttered XM modules and wires. 2010 has XM with NAVI. 2010 in my book all the way and I own an 08. Go for the 2010, you get a warranty a new bike and all the fun of owning a new bike not a used one. thats my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
A base 08 wing seems to run in the $19k range and yet dealers on ebay list base 10 wings for close to that.
Not sure where you are looking but $19K for a base 08 is way out of line. If you check around you can find them in the $16k range. I bought an 09 for $17.8 in May and the dealer was selling 08's for $16.6 than and that was before the 10's came out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been scouring ebay, the best price I can find on a new 08 base is $18k+ on ebay (the buy it now price), Cycle trader does list one for right at $17k, the rest all run 18k and change.

I do recall a thread about Honda On Line and ask to speak to Ralph for a good deal, so I'lll probably give them a call.

Chris

Not sure where you are looking but $19K for a base 08 is way out of line. If you check around you can find them in the $16k range. I bought an 09 for $17.8 in May and the dealer was selling 08's for $16.6 than and that was before the 10's came out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you buy a leftover 08 it comes with the full duration of the warranty as the warranty doesnt start until the date the bike is sold. 10,000+ diefferance in price is pretty substantial savings. I think paying 29000 dollars for 10 vs 17000 for a leftover 08 will let me get over a 1/8 inch wire running to a 1X3 XM head. One reason that marysville is shutting down is slow sales of the new wings. You can't keep building them when there are still 2 year old bikes on the floor. It was at one time a lot of bang for the buck when you bought a new wing. It's begininng to look like Honda is pricing themselves right out of the market with 30K touring bikes. It's a victim of it's own success. When you can go out and buy a 10-20 year old wing that still has at least 100,000 miles left in it for a fraction of the price it turns people away from mega dollar bikes. A clean GL1500 will still bring nearly what it cost new if it's been well taken care of. I think Honda has finally overdone the Goldwing and priced it out of reach for the average Joe. Sure some people can afford them but if they still built a basic model and priced it right they might very well still be USA built.
I think it great to have a all out version of the GoldWing. I'd also like to see a reasonably priced version that doesn't even have a radio much less an airbag, XM, heated grips, heated seats,CB,Cruise, Intercom,GPS, TPM or even Air ride panel. Just a great riding touring wing like the bare bones 81 Interstate would be a great bike built on a 1800 platform. One reason I went to Valkyries after 20+ years of Goldwingong was this very reason. Same platform in a basic bike. I went back to the Wing because of the smoother ride as my back isn't right. I hardly eveb even turn the radio on on my bike. I had just well have a glove box in that hole, lol I just love to ride and I do that to get away from it all. Even XM broadcast and sometimes it's a great thing to get lost.

Even Harley Davidson has the smarts to sell a barebones Electraglide with nothing but a fairing and bags. There are so many great low mileage touring bikes wasting away in garages that the maket is dying for all those except peop;e who just have to have the latest and greatest bike with all the bells and whistles. Apparantly people figured out there is a line in the sand and for the first time since the mid eightes there at 2-3 year old new Goldwings still sitting on the sales floor and crates. You can bet the ones built in Japan won't get any cheaper but just less of them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking online at new 08s. Am I correct in my assumption that the 08 base goldwing "premium audio" does NOT have heated seat and grips? To get that in the 08 I'd have to get the nav as well?

Thanks!
Chris

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Looking online at new 08s. Am I correct in my assumption that the 08 base goldwing "premium audio" does NOT have heated seat and grips? To get that in the 08 I'd have to get the nav as well?

Thanks!
Chris
The key word for the hot stuff is " comfort ", i.e. " Audio/ Comfort " . They call all their audio " premium " . NAV is an option not necessarily included with the heated seats. You just find it on many.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HI All,
an update, I actually put a bid in on this 08, it has premium audio comfort and nav and is a new bike. They have a buy it now price of $18,800. I've actually looked and sat on this bike. Amazingly this dealer is 5 miles from my house, bought a wing from them in 05.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2008-Honda-Gold-Wing-1800-Navigation-Touring_W0QQitemZ280451855289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item414c3bb3b9

I'd been considering offering $18k before they listed it which seems a fair price.

BUT, the downsides as pointed out, nav not updateable past 09. no xm radio. Looking on cycletrader, it seems a comparable 2010 bike (with comfort xm/nav and audio) to be in the range of 21.5k and change. Or I could get a base comfort/audio only 2010 for 19k and change, put in my own xm (which is easy and did on my other wing) and get an aftermarket nav which many seem to think the better option.
So just kind of mulling it over right now.

Chris

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
A lot of good information, I did not know myself that you could buy a 2010 card and put it in a 2008. I have a New 08 and later I might change it but now it works good for what I need I did a test I used my GW navi and My Garmin and they were both close to each other. I bought my 08 Gw last year with zero miles full factor warrenty and love it saved some money to. I am a little nervous to see the 2011 japanse made GW hope they don`t change much,Why screw with perfection

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
HI All,
an update, I actually put a bid in on this 08, it has premium audio comfort and nav and is a new bike. They have a buy it now price of $18,800. I've actually looked and sat on this bike. Amazingly this dealer is 5 miles from my house, bought a wing from them in 05.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2008-Honda-Gold-Wing-1800-Navigation-Touring_W0QQitemZ280451855289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_motorcycles?hash=item414c3bb3b9

I'd been considering offering $18k before they listed it which seems a fair price.

BUT, the downsides as pointed out, nav not updateable past 09. no xm radio. Looking on cycletrader, it seems a comparable 2010 bike (with comfort xm/nav and audio) to be in the range of 21.5k and change. Or I could get a base comfort/audio only 2010 for 19k and change, put in my own xm (which is easy and did on my other wing) and get an aftermarket nav which many seem to think the better option.
So just kind of mulling it over right now.

Chris
Can you put a 2010 navi card in a 2008 and update it that way. I googled it and I found that Garmin is selling the card for 149.00. I would go that route if I was not satisfied with the way my 08 navi was doing, No complaints with mine .
It all comes down to what each indivdual wants because they will be paying for it.I know I had a aftermarket navi it worked good had to put a sandwhich bag around it evertime it started to rain . With me when I bought something that I settled for I was never satisfied with it and ended up getting what I wanted later at a higher cost, Thats just me .
But what ever you do I hope you have a life time of fun
Live to Ride Ride to Live

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, in researching on this forum apparently the 08 nav software is not NT-based, 09 and later are, so not compatible if I'm interpreting things correctly. Garmin is not going to support updates for the earlier non-NT system if I've read correctly. YOu can update the 08 software to 09 specs and the how to of this is in this thread:

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267&highlight=navigation

step-by-step posting by snowghost here.
Chris

Can you put a 2010 navi card in a 2008 and update it that way. I googled it and I found that Garmin is selling the card for 149.00. I would go that route if I was not satisfied with the way my 08 navi was doing, No complaints with mine .
It all comes down to what each indivdual wants because they will be paying for it.I know I had a aftermarket navi it worked good had to put a sandwhich bag around it evertime it started to rain . With me when I bought something that I settled for I was never satisfied with it and ended up getting what I wanted later at a higher cost, Thats just me .
But what ever you do I hope you have a life time of fun
Live to Ride Ride to Live

1 - 20 of 20 Posts