Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an 08 base unit GL 1800 (GL 18P) with 4000 miles. What are the differences between the 08 and 09 base units with no regard to new or used? I've just started to look at Goldwings and the factory specs are sorely lacking in describing the simple amenities (such as heated..., etc). I'm new to the forum so hope I'm asking the right question in the right way-the "search" function sure didn't work. Thanks for any replies! :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
When my wife and I were looking at Goldwings last weekend, I cannot remember exactly what the salesman said about the model '08 and '09 differences, and we bought a left-over '08 with 2 miles on it, so that should tell you something. ;)

Honda is really pushing the dealers to move the left-overs, so you'd get the most bang for your buck going that route (if new is what you are looking for).

Whichever you choose, you'll love it. We've had ours a week and I just clocked 650 miles and still have a full day of riding left. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can't speak for the U.S. models but up here in Canada you get only two model choices the AL with navi, abs & comfort and the AD which has the same as the AL but adds the airbag. The only difference that I noticed from the 08's to the 09's is that the 09's have xm radio & a tire pressure sensor.

Honda Canada is adding an extended two year warranty for the 08 models for a total of 5 years.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bought a new '08 3 months ago and I do not believe there are any differences except price. Also, supposedly, the price of all models is going up $1000+ on any wing that the dealer orders from supplier after April 1. You could look on Honda Motorcycles web page to make sure there are no model differences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could look on Honda Motorcycles web page to make sure there are no model differences.
That has been my problem! When you go to their site, they do not get detailed enough. For instance, using their comparison chart, the comparison between all 4 models of the 09 Goldwing show no differences. Even mixing in 08 with 09, still no differences. Their website sucks. Yamaha, for example, is much more detailed. Maybe they assume that the salesmen know. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought an '08 myself. My understanding is that there were only two differences between '08 and '09. One is the availability of XM Radio on models above base, and the other is a tire pressure monitoring system.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
To my knowledge the differences between the 08 and 09 are mostly on the base model(s). The 08 base did not have heated seats. The 09 base comes with heated seats and grips and the Tire Pressure monitor system. The rest of the mechanics are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased my new 09 wing off ebay...Picking it up today.... price was less than $20,000 with the navi.The 09 base (no navi Ebay price less than $18000 ) comes with heated seats and grips and the Tire Pressure monitor system. I looked at 08/s but for less than a $1000 and a get the 2009 why not!!!

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I am going Sat to pick up my New 08 with ABS and Airbag. My question is (the dealer said no) is do I have a CD player? I understand this not having a CD changer but why would it not have a CD player? If your buying the top of the line with all the bells and whistles why would it not have ALL the bells and whistles??
I have NEVER bought a NEW vehicle and this is a FAR cry from my 1985 1200. I can hardly wait, Thanks for your time and wisdom.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Savoy, how did you manage to get an '09 Cdn model with XM? Mine's
an '09 AD and it doesn't, and XM isn't on the available equipment list for Canadian bikes. I have a Pioneer Inno on mine running with the aux plug. Ralph, I think the main reason the bikes don't come with the CD changer from the factory is they take up a pile of room in the trunk (and there is the cost factor too). I wouldn't want to add one due to cost, room, and weight in the trunk. It's too easy to go over the weight limits on these bikes as it is (IMO).

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I agree with you on cost and space. I am going to get a "Zune"(MP3 player) which makes more sense to me anyway. 4000 songs in an 1" by 1 "package vs carrying around all those CD's. I just thought they would have a place to put 1 CD. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I am going Sat to pick up my New 08 with ABS and Airbag. My question is (the dealer said no) is do I have a CD player? I understand this not having a CD changer but why would it not have a CD player? If your buying the top of the line with all the bells and whistles why would it not have ALL the bells and whistles??
I have NEVER bought a NEW vehicle and this is a FAR cry from my 1985 1200. I can hardly wait, Thanks for your time and wisdom.
Probably for the same reason they don't have a CB standard anymore. $$$$$. Adding ad CD player and CB would drive the price up about $1k for the base model so I guess Honda had made the decision, if you want it you have to buy it. Most guys today don't bother with the CD player. They go right to a Ipod nano or MP3 player and save the space. Oh, and welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Ride safe..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts