Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently (December) took posession on a new 08 Wing; now have only 150 miles on the bike because of snow. I imagine the Wing may have been parked on a dealer's floor for no telling how long...I have concerns about the tires. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about the safety of the tires after sitting (probably) for a long period of time?
Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
No I would not think so I just bought a new 08 last fall I now have 700 miles on it Tires are good. you would be surprised how old new car tires are that are being sold they have a good self life.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bought my 08 last August, went to Florida right away and currently have 4,900 miles on it. They still look new as far as tread wear. The ole Sportbike ate a set of tires up in 5,000 miles. I'm lovin the tire life.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I bought my '08 last Dec. ('09) and have about 12,000 miles and the tires still look new. The Dunlops must be made of very hard rubber which would explain why so many people feel uneasy and say they loose grip in the rain. Kinda ready for them to wear so I can try a set of Stones.

·
Registered
405 Posts
... HOWDY ... TIRES SHELF LIFE IS 6 yrs. AND THE TIRES MFG. DATES ARE STAMPED ON ALL SIDEWALLS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

I read something about this once but forgot which didgets refer to the mfg. date. Is it the 3rd & 4th didgets?

·
Registered
183 Posts
The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits, which usually appear in a sunken rectangle. Before 2000, this group had three digits; since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004). The date of manufacture is essential information because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend that tires older than 6 years, including spares never driven upon, be discarded.
From this site: http://www.sizes.com/home/automobile_tires.htm

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I doubt if there is an issue with old tires on an 08, as said before, tires are good for about 6 years, A couple of years ago there was a shortage of tires for the GL1800 so anything you get will probably not be over 6 months old.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The only thing I'd worry about at all would be a possible 'flat spot' from the bike sitting on the floor on just the side stand. Bikes that have been stored for a long time without proper jack stands will do this, but I doubt a year or so in the showroom environment would have little or any effect at all.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Most Dealers keep the Goldwings up with the big kick stand that is under the frame this brings both tires off the ground (Floor).
I think you should be ok if you feel a vibration or a bump bump when riding have the dealer check it but I think the tires are ok I bought a 08 new last year tires are good no problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts