Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped my 07 Ultra for an 08 Goldwing and I have a question about the navigation system. I have the Garmin Zumo which I had on the other bike and the Garmin software that came with it has really good route planning software. If there any way to take a planned route from the computer and download it to the Wing? I bought the bike slightly used so I did get all manuals but I don't know if Honda has route software.

Thanx for your help.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF sitegrader

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently swapped my 07 Ultra for an 08 Goldwing and I have a question about the navigation system. I have the Garmin Zumo which I had on the other bike and the Garmin software that came with it has really good route planning software. If there any way to take a planned route from the computer and download it to the Wing? I bought the bike slightly used so I did get all manuals but I don't know if Honda has route software.

Thanx for your help.
I have done some research on this and unfortunatly have come up empty handed when it comes to being able to upload routes into the Honda Goldwing Nav unit. I can assist with getting the 2008 factory nav updated with the latest maps if you are interested in that. The latest maps that are available for the 2008 Goldwing is the Garmin City Navigator 2009 maps. Let me know if I can help with that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would Be Nice

I have done some research on this and unfortunatly have come up empty handed when it comes to being able to upload routes into the Honda Goldwing Nav unit. I can assist with getting the 2008 factory nav updated with the latest maps if you are interested in that. The latest maps that are available for the 2008 Goldwing is the Garmin City Navigator 2009 maps. Let me know if I can help with that.
There is no way to use MapSource to upload planned routes to the Wing NAVI. This is a MAJOR blunder on Garmin's/Honda's part on the NAVI, IMHO.

I will not consider an on-board navigation system in any vehicle, unless, like the Wing, I can't get other options, such as ABS. Honda should unbundle the NAVI from the ABS if it wants to keep its customers happy. Frankly, the Zumo550, which is years older, is better than even the current Honda NAVI. I can use it on the fly, answer my phone, play MP3s, and download planned routes. Can't do any of these with the Honda NAVI. Nuff said!

Thanx for your help.
Update your maps for the last time. Garmin is discontinuing the non-NT compression version of their maps.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
For those of you having trouble with the Navi system, there is a great article in the December issue of Wing World. It doesn't make up for the gaps in the mapping and the other shortcomings of the system, but does a great job of getting the most out of what is there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GArmin Zumo 550 is twice the GPS as Honda's version. If I were to trade my 05 I would not get the Honda GPS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I were to trade my 05 I would not get the Honda GPS.
Understandable, however if you don't get the Honda GPS there are several other options you would not get as well. Hopefully this will change when the the next generation GL is released.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry for jumping in here. So is the consensus on the board not to get a wing with Nav??

I'm thinking aftermarket would be better?

Chris

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Sorry for jumping in here. So is the consensus on the board not to get a wing with Nav??

I'm thinking aftermarket would be better?

Chris
My local riding bud has the Garmin attached to his bike. Before I purchased my model I asked him about the " built- ins " He said , " It's one less thing you have to mount. " And he left it at that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So do you hthe built in nav? Are you happy with it?

Chris

My local riding bud has the Garmin attached to his bike. Before I purchased my model I asked him about the " built- ins " He said , " It's one less thing you have to mount. " And he left it at that.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Bull: I bought the bike in November and have only put on 200 local miles because of the weather. I did , however, notice a few newer road omissions as I was driving. When it gets down to GPS, it all seem it's a question of " How much for updates . " The aftermarket Garmin, etc. are the least exspensive to update. I didn't have a choice on the pre- owned bike that I bought. But if did, I would opt out on the $1,000 factory model and spend a couple dollars on a mount, and put the savings in some chrome or comfort. " I can't say that I was ever lost, but I've been bewildered for a few days . "

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanx for your help.
Sorry I can't help you my wing just has M.A.P. not G. P. S.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Easy Peasy

I'm happy with my built in NAV. It does everything I need it to do. It gets me from point A to point B. I also like the way it scrolls the info on top. Its quite easy to look at, especially while riding at highway speeds or even in congested traffic.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have yet to see a nav that doesn't make a mistake. Places to eat for example...I have gone to just closed, to burnt down. Things change. But I have used mine to get a view of motels somewhere. Picked the one I want and called the supplied phone number and reserved a room. I like having one and to me it's worth the money. Just another tool that can make life alittle less stressful.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've got a 2008 NAV and am very happy with it. I can live with a few new roads that don't display and like Commander K says, it'll still get you from "A" to "B". The display and information provided is excellent and the turn-by-turn directions are integrated into the comm system. If I decide later it's not up to par, I'll buy a Zumo and change the dash display from GPS to a different screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honda Nav

As I stated in an earlier post, the 2010 Honda Nav system is very good. You may find an after market GPS that will do some things the Honda will not but there is a lot to be said for not having to disconnect you GPS every time you stop and leave your bike. I am not familiar with the earlier versions of Honda GPS, but I can tell you I am completely satisfied with the 2010 model.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So is the newer nav system updateable?

Thanks for all the answers to my questions guys!

Chris

As I stated in an earlier post, the 2010 Honda Nav system is very good. You may find an after market GPS that will do some things the Honda will not but there is a lot to be said for not having to disconnect you GPS every time you stop and leave your bike. I am not familiar with the earlier versions of Honda GPS, but I can tell you I am completely satisfied with the 2010 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Navi

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier email about the lack of user friendliness regarding the Honda Nav system. Since my original post, I've mounted my Zumo 550 on the bike and am once again happy being able to plan a specific route from the comfort of my home. It's a little embarrassing having a redundant GPS system on-board but I've endured the critics. One more difference besides the planning feature that Honda missed I've noticed is that when Honda's Nav system indicates poor satillite reception the Zumo never misses a beat. The only time I've had reception problems from the Zumo is when I'm in a large metro area with tall buildings. Good luck to all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts