Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed that the gears at times will become "entangled or in between gears" when shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. This causes me to pull off the road to readjust the gears back down to 1st and start over. Do you think this is the bike's gear shaft or am I just a poor gear shifter not shifting at a high enough speed or rpm?

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
As an 08 rider myself with about 20,000 miles on her, I can only say that I have previously experienced a false shift into 5th gear twice. I believe it was caused by me and not the bike.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but if you have to pull off the road to find a gear, you may want to consider another mode of transportation.

Yes the GL1800 can be "clunky" in shifting. You have to give a "Firm" shift in every gear, especially from 1st to second.
But in the event you miss a shift? Pull the clutch in and grab another gear! Pulling off the road endangers you and everyone around you. Learn to ride the bike!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had the same difficulty when I first got my 08. I first blamed the bike but later learned to make sure that my shifts were more positive/deliberate. The transmission isn't silky smooth like my sportbikes and works best when I take the time to make full motion upshifts and downshifts. I also noticed the transmission is working better as it is wearing in.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Hi,

I noticed that the gears at times will become "entangled or in between gears" when shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. This causes me to pull off the road to readjust the gears back down to 1st and start over. Do you think this is the bike's gear shaft or am I just a poor gear shifter not shifting at a high enough speed or rpm?
Sometimes shifting in the lower gears can be a challange, but if you feel you are shifting properly then maybe a dealer should look at it to see of anything is bent or out of alignment. Since it's an 08 I assume it still is covered by the original warranty. Good luck..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but if you have to pull off the road to find a gear, you may want to consider another mode of transportation.

Yes the GL1800 can be "clunky" in shifting. You have to give a "Firm" shift in every gear, especially from 1st to second.
But in the event you miss a shift? Pull the clutch in and grab another gear! Pulling off the road endangers you and everyone around you. Learn to ride the bike!
WOW.........I must apologize. I am not like this on this forum.
It's no excuse but I was attempting to install HID's in the low beams yesterday and around the time I posted this, vodka and a bad attitude was mixed in.

The rest of you who know me, know I do not post this kind of crap on this board, I am sorry!

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
WOW.........I must apologize. I am not like this on this forum.
It's no excuse but I was attempting to install HID's in the low beams yesterday and around the time I posted this, vodka and a bad attitude was mixed in.

The rest of you who know me, know I do not post this kind of crap on this board, I am sorry!
Been there, done that ! Vodka ? I was going to guess Jack D. when I read the post. You must have thought you were on the " other " forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
When you say "entangled" do you mean a false neutral? If that's the case I think I would pull off the road too since you would be coasting to a stop at this point, with traffic behind you. Drivers growling, shaking their fists at you... Definitely don't want to get punted off into the pickle bushes...:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only have about 50 miles on my '08 but I did learn pretty quick that you can't be gentle when shifting. Specially when down shifting I found I really had to mash on the shifter when going down to 2nd and 1st.

Only missed one up shift and that was me not being "assertive" enough when changing.

I'm used to really stomping on the shifter after riding a VTX but I kinda assumed that the Wing would be softer shifting. There I go assumin' again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Personally, I think its just a technique problem and really no problem at all. The GW tranny doesn't shift like butter all the time. You will get the hang of how much pressure to apply to the shifter with time. The 1st and 2nd gears are more cranky and bothersome I believe because there is a neutral that gets in the way. Sometimes sitting at a light I have to do a double tap to get into first. I say tap cause I would be leery of stomping on the shift lever. Hang in there, it will get better and as far as pulling off the road; I'm with you there. Beside the road is a much safer place to figure out something than on the road. Hell, we've all been there. :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Over muscling the shifter will only reslut in a bent shift fork or worse. The technique of shifting a Wing takes time and practice. Co-ordinating the clutch and shift lever and the rpm values can be frustrating, but it will come.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I realize my first post was uncalled for and I am sorry.
But I would like to add something to this that I feel will help you stay safe.
If for any reason you miss a shift or feel like you are in the wrong gear? Unless there is a mechanical failure, never ever pull off the road until you are focused 100% and have a safe place to do so.

Best thing to do is just pull in the clutch and shift up once more, if the RPM's feel good and it feels like you are in the right gear just keep on going. If the RPM's are too high, up shift again, if the engine feels like it is bogging, down shift.
I can think of no reason to ever pull off the road and endanger your self when you miss a shift. Telling me you have to pull off and "Start over" tells me that you are not very comfortable shifting gears on a bike and sounds like not a lot of experience. You need to have confidence out there on the road with a bike.
If you get in a sticky situation and do not have the reflex skills needed in an emergency situation, you are going to wind up a statistic.

I thought long and hard about posting this again but I had to. It sounds to me like you need a little help and like it or not, I am putting my 2 cents in.

I have been riding off and on for most of my adult life, I am 45. But I still find my self lacking in the skill department in certain areas. I still have a lack of confidence in pulling a U-turn on the Wing for example! I just can bring my self to lay the big Girl over and "Commit" to the U-turn. Once your in a tight U-turn, there are only 2 ways out, either 180 degrees and on your way or, a few degrees less and on the ground!
My point is, we all still have the capacity to learn. None of us are perfect and none of us know everything. I would hope that if someone see's me doing something and it's obvious I don't know what I am doing? I hope they try to help me understand and help me to better my self. Especially when it comes to motorcycles.

What I am trying to get at is there is no shame in asking for advice and a man should not let his pride get in the way of an education and opportunities to sharpen skills or learn new ones!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts