Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 GL1800 and have put 22,000 miles on it in the last 2 1/2 years. Recently I have noticed something going on somewhere in the clutch, transmission, rear drive. When I am in 5th gear it feels like the bike goes out of gear and reengages quickly...feels like a "jerking" or a very quick partial clutch engagement. It doesn't happen a lot but I notice it more when it is still not up to operating temperature. However, it does happen even after I've been riding for an hour or two. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2008 GL1800 and have put 22,000 miles on it in the last 2 1/2 years. Recently I have noticed something going on somewhere in the clutch, transmission, rear drive. When I am in 5th gear it feels like the bike goes out of gear and reengages quickly...feels like a "jerking" or a very quick partial clutch engagement. It doesn't happen a lot but I notice it more when it is still not up to operating temperature. However, it does happen even after I've been riding for an hour or two. Anyone else experience this?
May be time to change your rear gear oil , which is very easy to do ...just buy the 90 weight oil from the dealership, get a hose , to feed the oil , (not a water hose lol ) rubber hose that fit the top of the new oil , drain , and fill .....makes the gear shift better .....the oil you may have in now , maybe dirty and lub is gone ..... needs new oil ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May be time to change your rear gear oil , which is very easy to do ...just buy the 90 weight oil from the dealership, get a hose , to feed the oil , (not a water hose lol ) rubber hose that fit the top of the new oil , drain , and fill .....makes the gear shift better .....the oil you may have in now , maybe dirty and lub is gone ..... needs new oil ...
I changed it 3,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't extraordinarily dirty. Might need a clutch adjustment however I would think the symptom would occur in other gears and it doesn't.

·
Registered
98 GL1500se
3 Posts
Just a thought, could it be not engaging fully in gear at times, especially before the oil is fully warmed up? I have had similar happen on my VTX and it will go into the "false neutral" between 4th and 5th and once I let off it will jump back into gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've made a point of fully engaging 5th gear as that was my first thought. Also, it has happened well after full warm-up. Might need a clutch adjustment,.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It wasn't extraordinarily dirty. Might need a clutch adjustment however I would think the symptom would occur in other gears and it doesn't.
Gear maybe worn out , which sucks ....
Just a thought, could it be not engaging fully in gear at times, especially before the oil is fully warmed up? I have had similar happen on my VTX and it will go into the "false neutral" between 4th and 5th and once I let off it will jump back into gear.
I say clutch, then

·
Registered
58 Posts
The 1800s are infamous with ghost shifting in 5th gear. Some say, make sure you get a positive, crisp shift before fully engaging the clutch. Hopefully, you do not have a heel/ toe shifter. There are those that claim they exasperate the issue. Don’t know.

Goldwing Greg in FL is the expert and back cuts the gears. It is not cheap as it is a complete engine tear down.
The 14s were updated and are way more robust looking. Stopped at Greg’s shop one day and he showed me the difference. I think for extra money, Greg can put in some of the ‘14s hardware.

My ‘10 does not have the problem yet...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No heel-toe shifter. Not liking the sound of a complete tear down if it is indeed the fifth gear that is worn. 😵 59,000 miles on this '08. Shouldn't have to replace a gear but I'll probably have to have it checked out. I changed the clutch fluid changed about 6,000 miles ago so I'm not suspecting air in the line...again, could be wrong.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No heel-toe shifter. Not liking the sound of a complete tear down if it is indeed the fifth gear that is worn. 😵 59,000 miles on this '08. Shouldn't have to replace a gear but I'll probably have to have it checked out. I changed the clutch fluid changed about 6,000 miles ago so I'm not suspecting air in the line...again, could be wrong.
Check Greg's Website on this: Symptoms new - JustWings

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
I have had that happen a few times also. A positive and forceful shift into top gear has kept it from happening again. Don't namby-pamby that shift. I think it's just a quirk of the bike. I have 156,000 miles on mine and it's running great.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
ghost shifting most likely. It was an issue and Honda did change the gears onlater model Gold Wings to address this problem. Goldwing Greg in FL is the one to talk to about it.
Google ghost shifting Honda Gold wing

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Premium Audio
16 Posts
My 2008 with 86,000 miles does it too. It's been doing it for 30,000+ miles, though, and nothing terrible has happened to me or the bike so far. It's never occurred while driving at a steady speed in fifth above 60 mph or so. Just when speeding up or slowing down. It only bothers me when going down a mountain road, slowing for a curve, getting ready to downshift to 4th anyway...

I would have it fixed but it sounds like a $5,000.00 bill for someone as competent and knowledgeable like Goldwing Greg to handle. And he's 1,900 miles from me. So I've just decided to live with it and be aware that a downshift to 4th could happen anytime.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Uncommon but rare, it is internal. Try changing oil but probably will not help. Ghost shifting will worsen. As others have said, requires tear down...
Till then be very positive (deliberate) with shifting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts