Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the pistons on the front calipers push in flush with a rebuild or new pads or do they stick out a bit when fully recessed ? I searched some threads but didn't see anything pertaining to this. The reason I ask is the dealer who just did the rear brake recall job showed me a picture of the pistons out about 1/4 or 3/8 inch and said pads are way low and will grind the rotor soon. they didn't remove the calipers, a week earlier I had them off to replace front tire and don't remember being concerned about the pads. The parts page shows some long piston cups. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Showing only the pistons is not the full story. You need to have a view of the pads. Replacing the pads when they have 2 mm of material left on them is a good idea. I know there is a wear limit somewhere in writing but I don't know what or where it is at the moment.

edit: I found it on page 3-17 of my 2003 Service Manual.
Brake Pad Wear.jpg

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check the pads you should be able the gauge the amount of lining without taking anything off and you should see a notch in the lining of it is OE this notch is the wear indicator of the lining if the lining looks thin or the notch is not visible take a 1/8 drill bit and try to insert the top that would go in the drill between the rotor and the pad backing plate If the bit doesn't fit time for pads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts