Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Pretty new to GWOF. Just bought my first wing 1 1/2 weeks ago. When I test drove it, I noticed the windshield was hazy, grainy, dirty, etc. But, still able to look through it. This last week I've been getting my wing to "my clean," if you know what I mean. What I've noticed is that the windshield was not only dirty, but it looks as if the film is bubbling, so to speak. I've tried Novus #1 and #2, but the thing that has worked the best is simple car wax and buffig pad. Then, I did something not-so-smart. I tried in a small top right corner with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then tried buffing it out. That's when I noticed the film layer.

However, after 20 wax times the windshild is clear, but yet still grainy. The "white haze" is gone but objects appear to have grainy edges and it's driving me nuts. Can this lexan windshield be professionally redone with whatever coating, or do I bite the bullet and get a new one?

If I have to get a new one, anyone have one that is new they want to part with?

TexasPJF

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I would say you need to get a new one. Then after you install it clean it only with lemon pledge inside and outside!!

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Once the finish is gone off of the shield it's pretty much toast. Check craigslist or eBay for a used one first. Lots of folks who bought larger or different styles shields have them sitting around in the garage collecting dust.

And how do I know this..... I have my old one from my 1500. Won't help you though...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
No is the short answer. Once the hardcoat starts to delaminate, it's a done deal you'll need a new shield!
Unless you want a taller/wider shield then another OEM is the way to go.
If you want a taller/wider one then I suggest the F4 as it is also hardcoated polycarbonate.
Also Pledge(original not lemon scented) is OK but, it is not the only product one can use.
Original Cleaner/Polish is another good product and there are many others

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Time to replace it. I use a wet rag on mine, soak a rag in water and put in a plastic zip lock bag, it will stay wet for a long time. You can also use Honda spray polish, never use windex on a stock shield, and never use a paper towel, just a clean soft cloth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's what I was afraid of. Y'all just told me what I had suspected...but just didn't want to listen to myself! I'm a pretty good shade tree mechanic and when I wasn't getting it to come out any better I thought I'd better stop while I was ahead and ask y'all.

Looks like I'm now shopping for a windshield. I had a Memphis Shade on my VTX for three years and it looked as good as the day I got it when I traded it in.

Thanks,
TexasPJF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts