Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 trans went south with less than 24k and all service done by the dealer. They tell me I'm just out of warranty and looking at 5.5k. I've had goldwings before and expect to get 200k miles on the same engine. I did lay it down once being stupid but have driven many miles since. I use semi-synthetic. If they did not put the correct oil in could that mess up my trans as I have been told? And do I have any recourse with Honda Corp?

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. If you are out of warranty and have had all the service done by the dealer, unless you can prove negligence on the part of the dealer I don't know what recourse you have, unless there is a pattern of transmission failures in your model and year Wing that have been documented which would result in a recall for a product defect such as the frame failure on the early Wings. Was the problem documented prior to your warranty expiring? If so, you may have a claim. I'm not a lawyer but if you contact one perhaps a lawyer may tell you differently.

I know this is hindsight but I always purchase the extended warranty from Honda. It's about $440 dollars and adds another 4 years of coverage to the Wing for repairs like yours.

Oh, and by the way... Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, still learning to find my way around the site. I never had a transmission problem until it failed. When I bought the bike used at 2400 miles I got what I thought was an extended 5 yr warranty and maintenance contract. They now tell me it was just a maintenance contract and it runs out in January.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Thanks, still learning to find my way around the site. I never had a transmission problem until it failed. When I bought the bike used at 2400 miles I got what I thought was an extended 5 yr warranty and maintenance contract. They now tell me it was just a maintenance contract and it runs out in January.
Just to be sure, I would take the bike's VIN number to another dealer and have them enter it in and check the Honda database to make sure it does not have the warranty. Most dealers are honest, but you never know. It doesn't hurt to check.. What would the extended maint contract cover? Good luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey shoe, what are you getting for 5500.00? labor should amount to 1200.00 or so but there must be a boatload of parts needed for the remaining 4000.00. I'd like to see that estimate. frank

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. If you are out of warranty and have had all the service done by the dealer, unless you can prove negligence on the part of the dealer I don't know what recourse you have, unless there is a pattern of transmission failures in your model and year Wing that have been documented which would result in a recall for a product defect such as the frame failure on the early Wings. Was the problem documented prior to your warranty expiring? If so, you may have a claim. I'm not a lawyer but if you contact one perhaps a lawyer may tell you differently.

I know this is hindsight but I always purchase the extended warranty from Honda. It's about $440 dollars and adds another 4 years of coverage to the Wing for repairs like yours.

Oh, and by the way... Welcome to the forum...
Two Wheel: You raise an interesting question to me. I purched my '08 from a private seller. The warranty is good until '11. Can I purchase an extended warranty at this time or before the Manufacture's expires ?

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Two Wheel: You raise an interesting question to me. I purched my '08 from a private seller. The warranty is good until '11. Can I purchase an extended warranty at this time or before the Manufacture's expires ?
Yes, the extended warranty must be purchased before the original warranty expires. Check around, there are good prices available. I got mine from http://www.directlineparts.com/ for less than $500.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
My maintenance contract and what I thought was an extended warranty cost me 2000
OUCH!!!!! That hurts..... What does the contract specifically say about what repairs are covered?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
On some of the other boards there have been several reports about the tranny's in 06 wings going out, but the price of repair has been about $3,000, report it to the NHTSA so they can have a record of yours and others have reported the problem also, if enough people report it they might look into it

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been busy for the holidays. 5500 was to completely rebuild the transmission and clutch. As it ended up they decided to make it 1300 total and they ate the rest. That way they still got money out of me but fixed it all without admitting guilt. I had them replace all the seals in the front forks for another few hundred. I just don't have the time to do most of the work myself. Now I have 600 miles of break in which is really killing me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The maintenance covers all services, tune ups, oil changes at 2000, etc. Actually the service work they have done would have cost me a lot more at the cost of labor out here up until this mess. At least I'm back in the saddle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glazguy I was advised by the honda dealers that I should not run full synthetic because of the clutch slippage in high gear. The semi-synthetic provides better lube, if you stick with it only, and better gas milage without sacrifise to the clutch. If our oil experts out there know anything different I haven't heard from them.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
it sounds rough

Darn, The tranny/clutch isnt supposed to fail and I can think of a whole lot of other things to do with 5.5K. I don't have much to offer except to agree with a previous post and suggest you see another dealer about the warranty and get another bid about the cost. I also bought the extended warranty. I paid $500.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been riding and not reading for a while. The rebuild was completed and I had 600 mile break-in mileage that was a real pain. I'm on my own for maintenance now. Been lazy letting the shop do it for me. Now I need to start ordering regular maintenance parts to keep in stock. Most of my body parts I get from bike bandit. Any suggestions for a better place for filters, plugs, seals, etc? Dealers have too much markup. Also for our lube guys, tell me what yoy think about castro semi-synthetic.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Try this one. He is the sponsor of the GL1800Riders forum. Has good prices and also offers a "club member" discount. I've ordered from Hal and have not had any issues. He also offers "seasonal" specials.

http://www.directlineparts.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Goldwing transmission failure

Sorry you're having problems with your trans. I have a worse story to tell. I also have an '06 'Wing that 5th gear went while I was riding. I performed all of the scheduled maintenance using only Honda oils and filters. My 5th gear blew at 38,000 miles. That was back in April, just before tax time. it is now September 9th, and my Goldwing is still in peices at the dealer! Aparently, when the trans blew, it distributed metal filings all throughout the engine, which was not properly dealt with on the first repair (under the extended warranty, which I would strongly recommend). I got the bike back in mid-July, and after only about 380 miles, the entire engine blew. My bike is in peices and there is no finish date in sight. Basically, the whole engine/trans assembly is a total loss, but Honda says it has no engines to install in my bike. They are actually thinking they can fix it! I am an ASE Mastertech myself and I have examined the parts and can assure you, there are no savagable parts, including the engine casing, the alternator, water pump and starter motor, (they're all driven directly by the engine and share the oil for lubricant). Honda doesn't even know why the trans failed in the first place. I don't tow a trailer and have not put on a heal-toe shifter, and I treat the bike with the utmost respect while riding it, so, it's anybody's guess as to why it broke. Even though this will not cost my anything to fix it, I have lost an entire riding season reguardless. And, there is no end in sight. I will be speaking to my state's attourney general and the Federal Trade Commission as to loss of use, loss of precieved value, and breach of contract as reguards the extended warranty. I will update this story as it unfolds, so, stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts