Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my '06 Wing (bought it new, now has 50,000 miles) in the shop Thursday because my fuel consumption has gone up over the last 3 or 4 tanks. Generally, I get about 200 miles to a tank, the way I ride. Over the last few tanks I've started to get maybe 175. Had the air filter changed and the plugs. Regular stuff. Bike runs great, no smoke. Mechanic finally concluded that it has 55deg. crank advance and it is only supposed to have 52. I said, "Well, just adjust it." Apparently it doesn't work that way anymore. He said the problem could be one of three things: Crank Position Sensor, Cam Position Sensor or the actual ECM (brain). And apparently these components cannot be checked. I inquired as to what they do when this happens and he replied that they just change parts. Can you say "costly"? They are going to check with Honda before they do anything. Any thoughts? Similar experiences? Would 3 degrees make that much of a difference? I know stuff goes bad, byt all of a sudden like that? And at 50k?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It doesn't make any sense, the sensors normally quit, not change specs. If they have quit it would be a simple check. I can't imagine the 3 degree crank advance would cause the fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I can't imagine what would cause the crank to advance 3 degrees:confused: unless the timing chain has slipped somehow on the camshaft end...very unlikely.
Just going out on a limb here, but I'm leaning towards bad fuel. Doesn't seem possible either unless your last few tanks came from the same outlet. Our fuel (regular 87) is pretty much crap anymore IMO. 90% of all our runability issues on machines in our shop turn out to be crappy fuel.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Let me give you my suggestion based on the following:

50,000 miles in a little over 6 years of ownership comes to about 8,000 miles per year. If you were getting about 200 miles to a tank that means you were getting about 40 mpg and you were using about 200 gallons per year...

You with me so far:;

Now if you are only getting 175 to a tank that's about 35 mgp and based on 8,000 miles per year you will use 229 gallons.

So an extra 29 gallons per year at $4.00 per gallon comes to about $116 per year increase.

Now...

You say the bike runs fine..... So lets see.. major repair for mega $$$ or $116 more per year.... You do the math.

Good luck whatever you decide....

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Are you riding the same way you normally do? How is the air pressure in your tires? Does your state change from winter fuel mixture to summer mixture?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In fact, I do get my fuel at the same station. Could be an issue. I'm in California and I don't know if they do anything to the fuel here in the winter. And I get the $$$ versus reduced mpg. However, I'm just concerned about whether or not there is a problem and if it will result in damage. Also, the sudden changes after 48k concerns me. Anybody know what the crank timing is from the factory (they say 52) and if there is a variation from bike to bike? If they submit my VIN to Honda could Honda give them the specs that it left the factory with? Maybe it came with 55 degrees?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alberta riding

I can't imagine what would cause the crank to advance 3 degrees:confused: unless the timing chain has slipped somehow on the camshaft end...very unlikely.
Just going out on a limb here, but I'm leaning towards bad fuel. Doesn't seem possible either unless your last few tanks came from the same outlet. Our fuel (regular 87) is pretty much crap anymore IMO. 90% of all our runability issues on machines in our shop turn out to be crappy fuel.
I noticed you are from Alberta. My wife is from Red Deer. I lived in Edmonton, Drum, Castor, Daysland. Planning a major trip up there this August.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I put my '06 Wing (bought it new, now has 50,000 miles) in the shop Thursday because my fuel consumption has gone up over the last 3 or 4 tanks. Generally, I get about 200 miles to a tank, the way I ride. Over the last few tanks I've started to get maybe 175. Had the air filter changed and the plugs. Regular stuff. Bike runs great, no smoke. Mechanic finally concluded that it has 55deg. crank advance and it is only supposed to have 52. I said, "Well, just adjust it." Apparently it doesn't work that way anymore. He said the problem could be one of three things: Crank Position Sensor, Cam Position Sensor or the actual ECM (brain). And apparently these components cannot be checked. I inquired as to what they do when this happens and he replied that they just change parts. Can you say "costly"? They are going to check with Honda before they do anything. Any thoughts? Similar experiences? Would 3 degrees make that much of a difference? I know stuff goes bad, byt all of a sudden like that? And at 50k?
The mechanic sounds a little fishy to me. I'd seek a second opinion or try another brand/grade of fuel before I let 'em start throwing parts at it on my dime.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1800 Goldwing Fuel Usage, 2

The mechanic sounds a little fishy to me. I'd seek a second opinion or try another brand/grade of fuel before I let 'em start throwing parts at it on my dime.
Anybody know a good Wing wrench in Sacramento area? I like my guy but a second opinion may not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
718 Posts
But a small change in rpm's can make a big change, such as running 2,900 to 3,100 rpm. I'm sure the 1800 riders see the same change as the 1500 riders even though the 1800 is fuel injected.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fuel usage

But a small change in rpm's can make a big change, such as running 2,900 to 3,100 rpm. I'm sure the 1800 riders see the same change as the 1500 riders even though the 1800 is fuel injected.
Are you referring to a change in riding style? Because I ride the same way all the time and usually get around 200 miles to the tank, give or take.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really hate it when someone compares mileage based on how many miles a tank. The correct way to check mileage is by comparing how many miles travelled on how many gallons. Basically, if you fill up and it takes a little less gas or more gas than last time it will have a big effect on your travel mileage.

In my Ford Ranger Pick up, if I fill up and the miles travelled is less than 300 then it seems like I am getting worse mileage, but I am likely getting about 15, not 17 gallons of gas that I have to get if I go over 300 miles. Either way I usually get about 19 MPG.

You need to take it all into consideration. Then I would get another mechanic to get a second opinion after running some Seafoam thru it.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I was talking with a fellow rider on our GlenRose ride yesterday about fuel mileage and I said if I was trying to get good fuel mileage I'd be back to riding my 400cc motorscooter that got 60 mpg. As far as I'm concerned, my Wing gets 2x the fuel mileage as my truck and about the same as my wife's Honda Civic. I'm pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As long as my bike gets better than the 4 wheelers we have in the driveway, I'm happy. I don't expect to get the 100 mpg my son gets with his Honda Ruckus.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Where can I find Seafoam? Also, I am going by the odometer number at the end of a tank so probably not the most scientific approach.
Sea Foam is sold in walmart, auto stores, etc. It's just a fuel additive and has nothing to do with boating or the ocean as the name might imply.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I run nothing but ethanol mixture in my bike and avg. 38 to 42 and I only use Seafoam when I put her to bed for the winter. Otherwise I use no additives at all ! I'm happy and even if the mileage was worse if I can't afford the gas I don't need the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts