Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello... new to forum, just bought a 2005 GW

...looking to install 4 new speakers (replace fronts, missing rears)

read threads about Polk db501 and J&M

also read that some people have installed Apline and or Sony Xplode?

(not really interested in adding amps, woofers etc)

little confused on what the actual size should be for front and rear, or are they all the same size.

Is it 4" , 5", or 5 1/4 ???

... Is the best place to buy speakers, Crutchfield (regular car speakers)

also do you need to buy an adapter for the rear speaker conversion?

thanks for suggestions... (stock speakers not great)

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but I have an 08 model. Do you have component speakers in the front with a seperate tweeter ?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
the front & rear are the same size,you can buy the rear set as a kit with plug & play wire harness.j&m makes nice speakers,they are weatherproff & have a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service! the best price i found was at wingstuff.com

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the site Slugga

I ordered the Polk Audio db501's (for my 04) and should be in this week. Replacing all four speakers (doing the air cleaner at the same time).

I did a lot of research into this topic and found the db501's to be the easiest (did not want to start dreamiling out any plastic for 5.25" speakers. The db501's are 5" speakers and fit right in with no modifications (as per all the commentaries expressed here and other forums). In addition the db501's are 103db efficient which should translate into a cleaner and clearer sound than the stock units. From all reports (again on this forum and others) just about everyone whom changed to the db501's expressed a common agreement - excellent choice for replacement speakers.

Wishing you success in your endeavour. I will report back on what my experience is when I have received and installed my units.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
On a 2005 GW 1500 the front and rear are NOT the same size
The fronts are easy to find, but have to take most of the fairing apart to get to them (took me 2+ hours)
The rears I am having difficulty with finding a replacement.
They are a 4" square speaker (outside dimensions) but the ears are 4 5/8" on center
Just ordered the Pyle PL42BL off Amazon ($22 a pair)
Wish me luck :)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
On a 2005 GW 1500 the front and rear are NOT the same size
The fronts are easy to find, but have to take most of the fairing apart to get to them (took me 2+ hours)
The rears I am having difficulty with finding a replacement.
They are a 4" square speaker (outside dimensions) but the ears are 4 5/8" on center
Just ordered the Pyle PL42BL off Amazon ($22 a pair)
Wish me luck :)
2005 would be an 1800, not a 1500.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum Slugga and Tombeno. Good luck with your speaker replacements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts