Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to visit my Dad, who is 75, today for Easter and asked him when was the last time he cranked his GW. I was told about a year and a half and the last time he did it wouldn't start and made clunking noises. I was horrified because I knew he loved the bike and to know it had been just sitting under the shed for at least 4 years without being ridden. I asked if I could work on it for him and he told me if I wanted it I could have it because he was getting too old to ride. I figure I need to change the oil and drain the gas, any help is welcome to get this bike back on the road. It's an 05 with 760 miles on it. I've ridden dirt bikes mostly, the GW twice and honestly both times it scared the hell out of me because of it's size. I'm new and any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
7,648 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a Wing
Change the oil and filter, drain or siphon the gas are a must.
Charge the battery or replace. Change the clutch and brake fluids.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks trike lady! I kinda figured that, what is the best way to drain the gas? I know it would probably be best to take it to a dealer to have it checked out but I like to do things myself

·
Super Moderator
7,648 Posts
I use a siphon to get it out, the one I use has a black squeeze bulb in the center and they work well and are inexpensive. Once you replace the gas with fresh you may want to add the precise amount of seafoam or injector cleaner, most of these treatments are for automobiles with large tanks and you want to use the right amount for the job.
The bike just needs a little TLC and a good going through and its good that you want to do the work yourself, take your time and ask questions here, many good people will be happy to answer your questions.
You'll get it running just take your time.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Congrats on the low milage wing......

Like trike lady said...change all the fluids and get it running. Be sure to check the tires and make sure the brakes are working properly before you take it on a test ride. Not sure where it was stored but some people have had problems with mice...they like to build nests in the airbox and mufflers. Once you get it running then you can checkout all the lights and other items that need to function.

Ask in the forum if you have any questions or concerns.....People here are always willing to help.

Ride Safe Always!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Went to visit my Dad, who is 75, today for Easter and asked him when was the last time he cranked his GW. I was told about a year and a half and the last time he did it wouldn't start and made clunking noises. I was horrified because I knew he loved the bike and to know it had been just sitting under the shed for at least 4 years without being ridden. I asked if I could work on it for him and he told me if I wanted it I could have it because he was getting too old to ride. I figure I need to change the oil and drain the gas, any help is welcome to get this bike back on the road. It's an 05 with 760 miles on it. I've ridden dirt bikes mostly, the GW twice and honestly both times it scared the hell out of me because of it's size. I'm new and any help is appreciated!
Welcome aboard! And that was very nice of your dad. You'll get used to the size... well, I've got a trike kit on mine so I don't care how big it is :) 760 miles - it's still new! And definitely worth putting a little elbow grease and/or money into.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
WOW,
You are a very lucky person indeed,to get a gift of a 2005 Gold Wing with 750 miles on it.

Take your time getting it up and running again........on second thought don't waste your time with it.....better just give it to me!!!!
LOL......good luck with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now thats a good deal. Along with everything already said don't forget to change the tires. They might look ok but they are old. Safety first.

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the Wing, I'm sorry your father can no longer ride. I would highly suggest a motorcycle safety course, if you've never ridden street bikes.

WOW,
Take your time getting it up and running again........on second thought don't waste your time with it.....better just give it to me!!!!
LOL......good luck with it.

And I was going to suggest he sell it to me, cheap! :D

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Sorry for your dad giving the Wing up, but in turn it's good he knows when to give it up. Good luck getting it going. Once you start ridding it, you will see how fast you forget the size because the way they handle.
Be safe!!

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. Great deal on the wing. Some good advice has already been posted. I would suggest you get a shop manual if you want to do some of the stuff your self. Just getting to things like the air cleaner on the 1800 can be a chore. Part the fun of owning a wing is some of the tinkering you can do yourself.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Don't forget new tires, average tire life is 7 years, even if they look good they deteriorate over time. 900 lb motorcycle on bad tires equals disaster. The bad part is the low miles on the wing. It is a gift so any money you spend on it will still be a lot cheaper than if you bought a new one. The fork seals can be dried out and start to leak, There are a lot of seals on the bike and left dry for many years can start to leak. Once you get it running, which probably won't take to much work, check it close for leaks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. I would suggest removing the fuel pump assembly and with a long stick or something scrape the bottom of the tank to see if the fuel has turned into tar if it has you will need to remove the tank to clean it out properly. More than likely if it has you will know once you pull the pump assembly out.
WD-40 works good to break this tar substance up. You can buy it by the gallon then soak the inside of the tank with superclean and hot water.it may take some time and money to get your dads bike back on the road but it will be worth it. If you have no way of getting rid of the old fuel pour it in a open plastic container and let it evaporate make sure rain water does not get into the container and keep this container away from anything flammable and children and pets.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Welcome and good luck with the get it running project. Like the others have said, it's worth it. I have to echo Bad's sentiments about the course. Your off road skills will do you in good stead so it's just a matter of adjusting. Keep us posted and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stumped.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the world of GW. I must say they all gave you great advice, and taking a riding course is one of the most valuable. The GWRRA.org has a chapter in your area im sure, and you dont have to be a member to take their riding courses, IMO they have some of the best classes, not to mention the great friends and riding partners you can meet.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your great gift. You are going to have a great ride when you get her roadworthy. Take your time and have everything checked and replaced if necessary. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry your Dad had to give it up but its great he had his own son to give it to. Take your time and check it out thoroughly. New tires for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you for your advice! My Dad has always said he would have a GW if he had to park it in in front of his rocking chair in the den, it was his dream. I just need to get it home and begin work to get it back running. I'll post pics as soon as I can, I hope to get it running soon, if the engines not locked up. Look for more questions in the future because I'm sure I'll need some help! Two Wheel Wing, I like your philosophy! God Bless!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I use a siphon to get it out, the one I use has a black squeeze bulb in the center and they work well and are inexpensive. Once you replace the gas with fresh you may want to add the precise amount of seafoam or injector cleaner, most of these treatments are for automobiles with large tanks and you want to use the right amount for the job.
The bike just needs a little TLC and a good going through and its good that you want to do the work yourself, take your time and ask questions here, many good people will be happy to answer your questions.
You'll get it running just take your time.

Around here, we always called a siphon an Oklahoma Credit Card.

That's a mighty fine gift your father gave you, and one that you will enjoy for years. Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Dad's are VIP's in our life. Since it was special to him, when you get it up and running. Take him somewhere and you can share the moment on the wing. The memory will last a lifetime. Eric

1 - 20 of 31 Posts