Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 goldwing with a problem in the 3rd gear.
Whenever I downshift from 4th to 3rd and give it a little gas there is a clunking (just once). It does it every time I downshift from 4th to 3rd.
Has any one had a similar problem or have an idea as to what may be the cause.
Thanks for you input.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF norton75 ( i had a '71 ) sorry i cannot help with the problem you are having

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
At what speed are you downshifting. Most Wings don't like to be downshifted at speeds over 20mph. I assume you mean when you are coming to a stop??

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I am usually doing about 40 when I downshift from 4th to 3rd.
Unless your attempting to climb a very steep grade your wing should not need to be downshifted at that speed. It has plenty of pulling power even in 5th gear at that speed. JMO..

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
i agree with two wheel wing. thats way too early to downshift from 4th to 3rd, i'm still in 5th gear and might downshift to 4th at 30mph

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not your typical goldwing rider.
To me touring is just one of the uses of tha bike.
It is actually a very well handling bike in the twisties,
you should try it
I have been riding for 34 years and know how and when to downshift. Did you know that you can actually use your transmission to slow down among other things? Another great thing is when you downshift you can use the higher revs to accellerate at a much greater speed.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
you should try it
I have been riding for 34 years and know how and when to downshift. Did you know that you can actually use your transmission to slow down among other things? Another great thing is when you downshift you can use the higher revs to accellerate at a much greater speed.
You obviously drive more aggressively than I do and the great thing about a GL1800 is that it allows you to do that with great confidence. Perhaps someone with a riding style similar to yours can help diagnose your clunking problem. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
you should try it
learned all that on a minitrail z50a, 40 years of riding this year

1 - 9 of 9 Posts