Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok forgive me, I am new here, and new to the Goldwing....I bought my 1995 GL1500se yesterday, There are some carb issues, I wanted to get thoughts before I took it to the shop in case it was a quick easy fix.

THe Bike starts up just fine and will run with the choke open...close the choke, bike dies...with no attempt to idle, no rough idle or anything just dead. While riding the bike seems under powered like hell too...IT does have a side car attached, but I pinned the throttle on the interstate and could not get to 80mph....The bike also got about 25 mpg over 100 miles....

it's 1 95 with 25,000 miles so it has sat....Rebuild and clean the carbs? That was going to be my first step.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Yes on cleaning the carbs if the bike sat for a long period of time. Check vacuum lines. Replace fuel filter. Don't forget a carb sync when they're completed Check the intake boots for cracks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ignition wires/plugs? Can't hurt to replace those parts.
If it's been sitting for any length of time you probably want to flush all the fluids,oil,coolant, brakes, fork oil etc.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shop just called....The carbs were soo nasty they said, and way out of synk. They cleaned them up and synked them up...Shops says old girl is running like she's brand new! Picking her up in about an hour!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trike lady, you told wingit95 to check vacuum lines...my question is, where are they and what do they hook up to? I have some rubber hoses hanging down underneath my '86 GL1200. Any idea where they go and what they are for??.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Trike lady, you told wingit95 to check vacuum lines...my question is, where are they and what do they hook up to? I have some rubber hoses hanging down underneath my '86 GL1200. Any idea where they go and what they are for??.
Normally the hoses under the bike are for the battery, fuel tank overflow, carb bowl overflow and they stop there.
Vacuum lines are almost everywhere, from the intake manifold, cruise control, vacuum operated switches. When one gets a tiny pin hole or crack in it the bike runs horrible. A vacuum line routing diagram can be a real nightmare with all the various vacuum lines going in all directions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts